This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulic fluid soaked everything.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Hydraulic fluid soaked everything.

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Basics: Log splitter control valve split, soaking the entire log splitter and back end of Cub, tow tractor, with hydraulic fluid. 10 HP Kohler, log splitter engine, soaked and blower fan pulled hydraulic fluid up into the cylinder's cooling fins. Old towels and grease rags cleaned up the Cub.

My first thought was to remove the shroud from the 10 HP Kohler engine, take log splitter to car wash and spray/clean everything off. No water available at acreage, location of water splitter.

2nd thought. Buy 3 or 4 cans of brake cleaner and spray down engine, including the cooling fins that can be reached without removing the shroud.

Opinions and suggestions wanted.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Re: Hydraulic fluid soaked everything.

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I don't like working on messy anything, I usually hit the car wash (mud bay) before I tear into anything if I can. Then I hit with air when I get home to blow out whatever I can (excess water, grass, crud, etc.). BUT water, especially under pressure can get places you don't want it so selectively aim when possible. It seems to give me the best results, especially if it is a greasy mess, I hit with a trigger sprayer with Purple Power in it and let it soak a bit before hitting with power wash. I used oven cleaner once but that was probably harsher than needed but worked good. (have done the Purple Power spray then garden hose when I was at home and couldn't get to the car wash). Then as I dig in, scrape big messes and if need be hit with brake parts cleaner.

A power washer, if you have access could be an option, I have one but never used it on a Cub or Cadet.

Each has it advantages and disadvantages as you know. Car wash- have to haul it there, water gets in places you may not want it and don't forget to keep an eye on your tow vehicle, don't want to cover it with what you take off of what you are cleaning :wink: Another advantage is you leave the mess there and I allow some time to tidy up the bay before I leave so I don't get banned! :)
Brake parts cleaner will work, you don't have to haul it, can do it there, but the mess is there and it can take off stuff you don't want it to remove like paint and decals and takes a lot to get it done right. And you may need pressure and rinse after anyway.
Me, Purple Power then hose or car wash would get it where you could evaluate the root cause of the leak you are trying to address.
Guess nothing you didn't already know, just some thoughts...
Good luck,
David

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:40 pm

I would think the brake cleaner, maybe with the removal of shroud to be the better idea. Is it possible some moisture had built up in the fluid and the valve split because ice blockage caused it to dead end?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:28 pm

I vote for brake clean on site, (hard on paint) later, when you have time back at the shop power washer.On a Kohler you can spray down through the pulley screen to clean the flywheel fins. Inside the shroud is still going to be oily; shouldn’t hurt anything, no dust when splitting wood.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:48 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Is it possible some moisture had built up in the fluid and the valve split because ice blockage caused it to dead end?
The log splitter had been running for perhaps 45 minutes to an hour before the control valve split. Temperature in the upper 50's. So don't think it was ice.

Cub is inside the shop building. Log splitter is sitting on gravel, hoping some of the hydraulic fluid will drain off. Before I left, I put oil dry on everything I could reach on the log splitter frame. Will check tomorrow to see if the oil dry did any good. For sure I will need to clean up the engine and love-joy joint before I start it up again. Have to clean off the control valve and hoses before I replace the control valve.

Threw jacket, oil soaked in bed of pickup, wiped self down with grease rags before driving home. Stripped off and threw everything in the wash machine. Had to soap up twice in the shower to get all the hydraulic fluid off.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:22 pm

$3.00 at car wash took care of most of the problem. Currently setting in the sun. Will park inside shed for several days to completely dry out. Then pull engine shrouds to check the fins.

Son and I went out and check the log splitters condition yesterday. Used up 1/2 a spray can of brake cleaner - barely touched the problem. Bit of math, much cheaper to trailer the log splitter to the car wash.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:30 pm

Eugene wrote:Stripped off and threw everything in the wash machine.

I'll bet that made your wife real happy. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Don McCombs wrote:
Eugene wrote:Stripped off and threw everything in the wash machine.

I'll bet that made your wife real happy. :D
I haven't seen the jacket since. Perhaps she put it in the trash.

She also didn't get in the shower with me to help scrub down.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:40 pm

Eugene wrote:
John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:........ Stripped off and threw everything in the wash machine. Had to soap up twice in the shower to get all the hydraulic fluid off.
I bet the neighbors are glad you keep your curtains closed. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”