Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:18 pm

When we picked up the H in PA a couple weeks back the guy said he had this "thing". He advised it was modified to be used for the building of a local race track. It had been sitting under a pine tree. He wanted it gone - so I gave him $100 and loaded it up. The ball hitch mystifies me. That will be coming off. It's Red underneath the purple....The serial tag is there, but I haven't gotten the paint off of it yet. It has been shortened at each end.

What'sIT?

IMG_2948 (800x600).jpg

IMG_2949 (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:40 pm

Looks like Ford or Dearborn 3 point cultivators. They used to have trouble getting $10 for them at auctions, but might get more now with scrap being higher.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:14 pm

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/IH%20I ... Harrow.htm

Spring toothed harrow. Way back when, used a different version to cultivate weeds from corn, when corn was about 6 inches tall.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:31 pm

We call em a tiller tool but the ones here have better type shanks, I do not think it is Ford, I think it is Allis Chalmers I have seen those spring teeth on Allises

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:47 pm

The paint under the purple could be AC color. It's not IH red for sure. Boss - do you know why it has only one coulter?

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Coulter appears to be braced in location. My guess is the coulter is an add on to keep the harrow/cultivator, or what ever it's locally called, centered, following the pickup or tractor in a straight line.

The spring tooth harrow we had, 4 or 6 sections wide when working, would wobble back and forth.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:49 pm

PVF1799 wrote:The paint under the purple could be AC color. It's not IH red for sure. Boss - do you know why it has only one coulter?

Well I am just guessing, but I guess that the guy that added that one did not have another :D

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:59 pm

http://www.everythingattachments.com/Fr ... cain-7.htm
this is the type shanks we have here,7 and 7 shanks

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:00 pm

Probably made by Pittsburgh Forgings (same company that made the Carry-Lift). I believe they made cultivators for both Ford and Ferguson. I have a one-point version that is orange and carries a Pittsburgh data tag.

Note that most illustrated in this ad have a single stabilizer colter.
http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Forgings-Cultivators-LInkage-Farming/dp/B007V6ZGAU

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:11 pm

The coulter is factory mounted. The ball hitch is bolted through the original 3-Pt hitch frame remains a mystery. - Perhaps like Eugene suggested the coulter is to keep lateral stress away from the unit. That being said - it would seem the 3Pt hitch bolts would do that. We'll be giving it a try in the spring time.

The points are worn on one side, they've not been turned. I was also thing that perhaps I could but chisel teeth on it. The rang of motion and configuration possibilities seem endless.

Ken

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Jim Becker wrote:Probably made by Pittsburgh Forgings (same company that made the Carry-Lift). I believe they made cultivators for both Ford and Ferguson. I have a one-point version that is orange and carries a Pittsburgh data tag.

Note that most illustrated in this ad have a single stabilizer colter.
http://www.amazon.com/Pittsburgh-Forgings-Cultivators-LInkage-Farming/dp/B007V6ZGAU


Now, I'm gonna have to get that painted name tag.....I hope it's stamped and not just painted.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:41 pm

This a Dearborn Model 13-2 Two Row Cultivator. This is part of the Ferguson Cultivating System made for the 8n's. It's a Ford Product.

Here is the manual. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:02 pm

PVF1799 wrote:This a Dearborn Model 13-2 Two Row Cultivator. This is part of the Ferguson Cultivating System made for the 8n's. It's a Ford Product.

Here is the manual. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Do I win the contest :?: :P

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Denny Clayton wrote:
PVF1799 wrote:This a Dearborn Model 13-2 Two Row Cultivator. This is part of the Ferguson Cultivating System made for the 8n's. It's a Ford Product.

Here is the manual. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Do I win the contest :?: :P


Denny Clayton - wins the prize. :worthy:

Re: Picked This Up - Now What is IT?

Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:21 pm

PVF1799 wrote:
Denny Clayton wrote:
PVF1799 wrote:This a Dearborn Model 13-2 Two Row Cultivator. This is part of the Ferguson Cultivating System made for the 8n's. It's a Ford Product.

Here is the manual. Looking forward to getting this fixed.

Do I win the contest :?: :P


Denny Clayton - wins the prize. :worthy:

:thumbsup: