Re: Owners of Howard CD6 Despeeder/Speed Reduction Unit

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:54 am

I got one several years ago that I put on my 1974 Cub. Back then, I called and talked to someone at Howard and they found a seal and I bought it. He said it was the last one in the US that he could find.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Here are the pics that Tom Clark asked me to post for him of his freshly paint Howard CD-6 with decals.
Here is his brake bracket extension:

And here is the Despeeder:

Tom has been waiting for warm weather to finish up his project. I'd say it was worth the wait! Great job Tom. ( but with another week of +90F, I'm ready for winter again ) :wink:

Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:43 am

Redcub, is it possible to get a drawing of the handle you made? Has anyone found a source for the decals? I have two cubs, one with the speed reducer.

Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:05 am

Jim, Welcome to the Forum. I live between Longmont and Berthoud. You're invited to my Cubfest Sept. 11-12. Hopefully you'll get a quick answer to your questions.

Bob

Fri May 01, 2015 4:53 pm

Jim, I didn't make a batch of handles due to a lack of interest/commitment from FC.com members. I found a local guy that makes patterns and casts old parts, but the $$$ cost to do so made me think twice. The handles are notorious for breaking when people over tighten the bolt at the bottom. Most guys are just fabing one themselves.

I sent you a Private Message ( P.M. ) regarding decals, as selling is verboten in the forums.

Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:17 pm

Here is a picture of the new decals

I tried to post the picture but it's too big.

Here is a link to my dropbox account:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/te9ykza33lg8zbt/AAB0w4fcnx1bRrVXJtMoYCMCa?dl=0

Jim

Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:41 pm

Greetings! I've got one on a 55 Lo-boy. Just removed the finals for brake repairs etc. the seal plate is banged up (and seal shot) with shear damage to the seal fasteners due to broken brake band perhaps, to the point I can't tell what they used to be. Just joined the forum today and have been unable to access any diagrams or pictures of the plate that are good enough for me to get a handle on what's needed for repair. Any help would be appreciated. Any progress on the best seal option?

Thanks, Kevin

Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Kevin, I PM'd you with some info. Those banged up fasteners that you see are actually very poorly bucked rivets. My set looked like Rosie the Riveter was having a bad day.
Thanks for posting that you are an owner of a CD-6.
As for the seals? No progress. Trent M. bought the last one on the planet.

Any other CD-6 owners out there that want to join the list?

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:17 am

Redcub wrote:As for the seals? No progress. Trent M. bought the last one on the planet.

Gosh, I was hoping not. Its been like 7 years since I bought that one. No more to be found?

My speed reducer and Rotavator went to a forum member in North Carolina this past fall.

Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 pm

I bought a couple of despeeders awhile back and just ran across this post. I am interested in the drawings that one of the forum members mentioned. It's been fun reading. Thanks, Frank