This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Owners of Howard CD6 Despeeder/Speed Reduction Unit

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Owners of Howard CD6 Despeeder/Speed Reduction Unit

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:34 am

If I remember correctly, when I made John's whole seal plate, I made a center hub that accepted the same seal that was used for the pto shaft. I haven't looked at mine yet. It's still in a box with the brkts. I'm pretty sure the seal for an original seal plate is a bigger O.D. and harder to find.
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:53 pm

I believe the original is screw / rivet mounted rather than pressing into a sleeve as mine does. Not sure where I got these pictures, but they match the illustration in the CD6 manual

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:33 pm

Here are photos of the three I currently have. If I would ever get the Rotovator home I could post a picture of that as well.

'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 am

CubCropFrontSmaller.JPG
CubCropFrontSmaller.JPG (198.03 KiB) Viewed 2360 times

Here is a view of my dad's Highway Mower from the front, showing how the right despeeder handle comes up through the floor panel.
It's a crop and enlargement, so the quality isn't great, I can take a better one the next time I'm there.
If you click on the photo it will enlarge a little.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Here is a view of the Howard CD-6 Despeeder with the right final off.
( Photo credit: Can't remember members name. )
Thanks for all the PM's guys. There is getting to be a growing list. Post a replay if you own a CD6.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:22 am

Just put on my decals. The gear case came out of the paint booth, but I am not very happy with the color. I might repaint it.

I still need to paint the brake extension bracket, but I wanted to see how the decal would look on it.
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Did not know there was a sticker made for the extension bracket :thanx:

uncle henry
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75691

Postby uncle henry » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:32 pm

here is some more pictures
Attachments
cub creeper gear 3.JPG
cub creeper gear 3.JPG (162.52 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
cub creeper gear 4.JPG
cub creeper gear 4.JPG (158.2 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
cub creeper gear 2.JPG
cub creeper gear 2.JPG (157.67 KiB) Viewed 2307 times
cub creeper gear 1.JPG
cub creeper gear 1.JPG (163.62 KiB) Viewed 2307 times

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:12 am

Redcub wrote:Here is a view of the Howard CD-6 Despeeder with the right final off.
( Photo credit: Can't remember members name. )
Thanks for all the PM's guys. There is getting to be a growing list. Post a replay if you own a CD6.
Not sure if that is mine or not, but the shift lever sure looks like the one Rick Prentice made for mine. The picture may have been taken when he was making the missing parts for it. Also looks like some of my cribbing blocks, but I do not remember the rusty wheel in the background. Of course me not remembering something is not unusual. :cry:

P.S. I believe that is the left final that is off.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:36 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I believe the original is screw / rivet mounted rather than pressing into a sleeve as mine does. Not sure where I got these pictures, but they match the illustration in the CD6 manual

And here is the one Rick made for me. The original seal and mount has to be changed as a single piece, but on the one Rick made the seal itself can be changed.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:50 pm

I haven't tried this yet, but was wondering if anyone has measured the front trans seal and plate like this one offered on TM's site :shock:

It'd be slick if it could be adapted.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Rick Prentice wrote:I haven't tried this yet, but was wondering if anyone has measured the front trans seal and plate like this one offered on TM's site.[/img]

A Timken seal guide lists seal 474250 as 1" shaft and 450043 as 1 1/16". I might consider that close enough if the 3 bolts and offset line up.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:02 pm

You will have to redrill either the seal or the plate, the bolt holes on the transmission seal or not evenly spaced. also the offset will be a problem, if it extends toward the reducer it will strike the gears when the shift collar is in the outer position, and if turned the other way it will ride so far up on the shoulder of the shaft that sealing will be a problem. Even with the one Rick made I had to use my Dremel to burnish the shaft and make a smooth place for the seal to ride.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redcub » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:39 pm

That seal set up looks real nice guys. Rick P and John, do you have a part number and source handy? Sounds like thickness is the main issue.

All: If we can get the decal, shift handles, and missing oil plate issues done, that will leave the oil seal problem.
I'd like to get a batch oil seal plates made up, just need a seal that works so that it can be made with that particular seal brand new.
I still have my crude drawing of the brake bracket and lower final bracket if you need them.
"Steam and Gasoline"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:18 pm

My copy of the manual has the number 25069 written in beside the seal, but I cannot find anything it currently crosses over to. I seem to remember them being available several years ago, but the price was around $100 or more.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”