This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Calling all Howard Rotavator L&S-28 owners

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.
Circle of Safety: Y

Calling all Howard Rotavator L&S-28 owners

Postby Redcub » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:19 pm

Do you own one of these 28" tillers with a round gear box ( L-28 ) made for the Cub/Lo-boy or the square gear box ( S-28 ) for the A,B,100?

It looks like this:
And came with either a Fast Hitch or the standard draw bar setup.

My photo album is here: http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.ph ... 165&page=1

They are super tough and built like tanks. Many people don't know what they are when they come across them because the decals wore off over time. There has been plenty of talk here on the forum about these tillers and I can never remember who owns one or doesn't.

Chime in here. Post a pic if you have one. It doesn't need to be pretty. I am interested in slight changes made over the years during production. Lets give owners a way to communicate and learn more about these Rotavators

Last edited by Redcub on Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Calling all Howard Rotavator L&S-28 owners

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:40 am

When I got mine it had the rear shield bent pretty badly, and Rick straightened it. I used it for 3 or 4 years, then finally decided to refurbish it. Bringing it in for work over.

One of the interesting things I found, note the splines closest to the gear.

finished, and ready for work. Rick also made 2 of the clamps for adjusting the depth. the wheel and shield are both used to control the tilling depth.

anyone interested can see pictures of the project as it went by going here.
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Ro ... 20rebuild/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:09 pm

Got your decal Redcub-Thanks!
It looks great I think. I took measurements from the traces of sticker left on mine, and it matched up. The sticker was recreated from the manuals found on the cub server

Tom Clark
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44021

Postby Tom Clark » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I have a Howard Rotavator L28 I am restoring. It is at the paint shop now. I 'm interested to know that I can get the decals which will make the restoration complete. "Right on time for me". Can hardly wait! I'll send pictures when done. Thanks!

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:27 pm

Tom Clark wrote:I have a Howard Rotavator L28 I am restoring. It is at the paint shop now. I 'm interested to know that I can get the decals which will make the restoration complete. "Right on time for me". Can hardly wait! I'll send pictures when done. Thanks!

There also is a decal that goes on the chain guard case (above the round inspection hole) It looks just like the one on the deck, only a lot smaller

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:11 pm

An ad for the L-28 with a Fast Hitch on the back of a Cub.

Notice what looks like a bearing dust cap on the right main bearing. Mine is missing, and I did try last year to find one for myself and John. No luck.
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:30 am

Mine does not have the dustcap either!

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am

Owners: You can also can see in the L-28 ad I posted above, the placement of the right main bearing service decal.

Does anybody have/use part number LC-1 Anit-sway bar for their L-28? There is a picture of one in the parts manual and it says to attach as an "extension of the regular IH swaybar": :?: :?: ( see HR form 187 ), is that the diagonal link on the Fast Hitch that they mean? What if you use a regular drawbar? :help:

Pic of the setup if you have one would be great.
Last edited by Redcub on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Steam and Gasoline"

t jackson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21157

Postby t jackson » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 am

yes and yes

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:19 pm

I think John Puckett made a substitute for the bearing dust cover using a soup can or something similar. It may have been for a Mott though.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:12 pm

A friend of mine made this. It is the cap for a commercial chain link fence post that he welded a couple ears on.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redcub » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:45 pm

T Jackson: Do you have a pic of the sway bar? ( or anybody else ??)
Bob M: A soup can huh? Might as well use what's laying around. Good thinking.
John: Thanks for the pic, that looks real nice.

All, I have been getting plenty of PM's about the Howard L and S 28. Thanks for the contact.
Any other owners out there, please post a reply. I'd really like to find out how many of us there are out here.
"Steam and Gasoline"

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Redcub » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Just picked up my L-28 service decals. I just couldn't wait, so I decided to waste a set and slap them on. It wasn't really warm enough today, and the Rotavator is dirty, wet, and has some green stuff growing on it. I know they wont stick very well like this, but I have plenty of decals and wanted to get the pics posted. I will put on another set after a rebuild in the future.

It may not look like it, but the Orange color is exactly the same on all 3 decals in the first pic. Just bad lighting.

It was surprising how easy it was to mess up the edges by touching the adhesive with my fat thumbs. You might notice the terrible job I did on the gearbox oil fill plug decal ( look at bubble left of the plug). I'm glad I wasn't trying to put on a gas tank decal today $$$. But like I said, I was just messing around and next time I will go real slow and get them just right.
Thanks for looking.
"Steam and Gasoline"

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 pm

great, now I need it to warm up. Next time, use a little piece of tape for the demos and not ruin a set of decals. Needless to say, I am a cheapskate.

brian kov
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby brian kov » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:00 am

what a great little tiller these are ,I have one for a fasthitch but it looks like someone made the hitch piece because there is a piece welded between the fasthitch prong and the main hitch piece coming off of the tiller , other than that it is in nice shape but needs new paint and decals .
they are really too fast without the de-speeder though ,but I do have it , just needs installed .
1955 intrnational lo-boy w/ fasthitch, 1960 farmall cub w/fathitch .fasthitch moleboard ,disk,carryall rotovator,54a blade,I.H. 1ooo loader , Syms all wheather cab. PROUD MEMBER OF THE 500 CLUB LO-BOY THAT IS . 1972 154 lo boy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”