This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What do you think about an AC WD45?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

What do you think about an AC WD45?

Postby pgmrdan » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:20 pm

It looks like the 'Other Tractors and Machinery' isn't just for other Farmall tractors and machinery so I'll try this post and hope I don't get blasted. :shock:

I came across several Allis Chalmers tractors for sale on dealer lots. Some of them look pretty good. Many of them seem very reasonably priced.

I found a WD45 where the guy is asking $1800 but I hear he'd probably accept $1500.

Like I've said in other posts, I don't know much about tractors and several of you have given me some very good advice and information on Cubs and I greatly appreciate it.

Do any of you have opinions on AC WD45s in general? Are implements plentiful or scarce? Would this be overkill for utility use on a 20 acre property? Etc.?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:24 pm

Its not overkill at all. Good tractor, lots of power. Saginaw makes a real nice 3pt conversion for them also if you so desire. Implements are a little harder to come by but not impossible.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:27 pm

Those old Allis' make great tractors for spreads of 20 acres or so. They are plentiful and I believe the parts availability is good. They were quite popular in many areas. I used to have an AC model C and it was a good old tractor. If memory serves, the WD45 was a pretty good tractor.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

WD45

Postby Eugene » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:49 am

The WD series, WD and WD 45s are pretty good tractors. Parts are readily available, even from your local auto parts store. Repair and service straight forward. Allis Chalmers were very popular tractors in central Iowa and there are a lot of them still out there.

Is $1500- a good price for a 45 HP tractor. Depends on condition, wide front end (extra), hydraulics work, 3-point adaptor included. $1500 is certainly in the ballpark. The have a lot of nice features for the price, live PTO, 2 clutch system, live hydraulics. The hydraulics are high pressure one way. It's normally not a problem. You can change a 2 way hydraulic cylinder over to one way with a small air bleeder on one end of the hydraulic cylinder.

Most 3-point equipment will work on the WD series if you have a 3-point adaptor. Around $300- for a 3-point adaptor if tractor doesn't already have one. The tractor is factory equiped with a 2-point hitch system - 3 point equipment looks like they should hook up - but they don't.

PTO driven pull type equipment will work - there should be a lot available at auctions.

Check the rear rims for serious rust around the valve stems. Those spinout Allis rims are some where around $350- each.

Drive the tractor around before you buy it. The front spindle bearing go bad and the front end wobbles -normal.

I own 2 WDs. I think they are very good tractors for the price.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:44 pm

Eugene,

When you said to look for rust on the rims around the valve stems is that a fairly certain sign of calcium chloride leakage from the inner tube?

The reason I ask is that on the 8N I looked at there was rust around the valve stems on the rear rims. I asked about Calcium Chloride damage. The seller acted like he didn't know about any damage but the rust around the valve stem might have been from some dripping on the rim when it was put into the inner tube.

I'm assuming that around the valve stems is where it's going to cause damage the first visible damage. That right? Might there be a lot more unseen damage?

Thanks.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:53 pm

Rust through at the valve stems is a possible indication of pretty extensive corrosion inside where you can't see it. If it is on a tractor you are considering purchasing, don't hesitate to poke around the rim to see if it is solid. If the owner objects to this, he is hiding something. Minor rust and pitting can be halted with a little work. More extensive areas can be cut out and patched to save reasonably good rims. Sometimes, you are better off to pass on the tractor or consider that you will need new rims. You can always use that as a bargaining chip when dealing.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Rims

Postby Eugene » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Dan:

Get the free parts catalog from Valu-bilt. Very good reference. Valu-bilt has the rear rims for an 8N @ $83.99 ea.

If the tractor were in good condition and the rims were the only major problem, you have a good bargaining chip for a bit lower price.

One nice thing about rear rims at $83.99 each is that you won't need a bank loan to replace one or both.

A little rust around the valve stem is common. A large 2-3 in. dia. rust spot is a very good indication that the inner tube is leaking and that there may be significant damage to the rim. Water is the cleanup material for calcium cholride so I doubt that some spilled on the rim during installation. It would have been hosed off.

When looking at a possible tractor puchase. Check to see where the valve stem is located. Another indication is minor rust around the valve stem and the tractor parked with the valve stem up- helps keep the fluid from leaking out.

In any event. The tire should be removed, the rim cleaned up and a new tube installed. Calcium Chloride is a heavy messy job to remove from the tire. You can do it yourself or have it done by a tractor tire repair shop. Around here it's $50.00 a tire to install fluid if you take the tractor to the shop or $100.00 a tire if the repairman comes to the field.

So your looking at an 8N. $2500.00 ballpark center price in central Missouri. Still think you should consider a Super C. Local ad tracker had two Super C's at $1295.00 each.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 8:02 pm

I stopped in the Valu-Bilt store (tiny little store, big warehouses) Friday and picked up a new catalog. Fortunately, after we move to our acreage, it's practically going to be in my backyard. Actually, it's almost in my backyard now. :D

I just mentioned the 8N because that's the tractor I was looking at when I saw rust around valve stems. I've pretty much decided it's not enough tractor for my needs.

The Fords, at least around here, seem to be way too expensive for what I'd get. Allis Chalmers and Farmalls seem to go for much more reasonable prices. I'm leaving myself open while I keep learning about these.

Of course, I'd like to get a Farmall 'cause they're RED!!! :D

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:02 pm

Just a note about the N series fords, I had, until today, 2 8N's one of them was built in 47 and the other in 49. So I am Decaling a horse trailer that we are giving away at a barrel race tomorrow. Anyway, across the lane was an 8N that some one had painted red. So, I grabbed a diet coke and wandered over 'cause the folks were sitting on the front porch watching us decal the trailer. Introduced myself and said how hot the weather was, etc. Then casually asked about the 8N. Fellow said that it was for sale at $2,000 and he had some lookers but they all went away when the thing would just do nothing, no start at all, he even had someone change the dist cap, roter, point, plugs, condenser, wires, new battery, battery cables, and he was fed up with it. So he and I wandered out to the front, through the high grass and looked at the red ford. Now down here we dont have to worry about the rims rusting cause we dont have to use the 'never freeze' stuff. Checking the oil, fuel, water and kicing the tires, mumbling to myself about how hard it would be to get the thing loaded, have to have a winch truck, etc. Pulling and jerking wires all the time. Well, said the fellow, Hell I would sell it and the brush hogg (I think you all call them bush hogs) for $1250 if they would tow it out of my yard. I said, well I am cutting my own throat but I'll give you $1100 for it. He says done, now you need to get it out of my yard. Okay, says capt Jack as I took my knife and shorted across the starter button, cranked it and drove it across the street. Today I have 3 8N's. Yes. :wink:
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:31 pm

Congrats Cpt Jack.
Looks like you made a $1000.00 plus a bit.
Good story.

Eugene

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:40 pm

What was wrong with it?
Image On To Bigger Things

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:04 pm

Starter button. So, just open your knife, short across it and away you go...used to call it hot wiring....
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:24 pm

Congratulations Capt Jack. Looks like barmum would have you as one of the three.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

capt jack
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby capt jack » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:35 pm

I got lucky that is all. About time on my fords.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”