This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Farmall M Carb/Manifold Condensation?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Farmall M Carb/Manifold Condensation?

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue May 10, 2005 9:45 pm

The M runs, just for a short time and kind of rough but it runs. While it is running I noticed moisture/condensation on the top of the carburator where it is attached to the manifold. Anybody with an informed diagnosis out there. Thanks.
Gene Chestnutt

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Wed May 11, 2005 6:10 am

The vaporizing gas causes the temperature of the manifold to drop so that moisture in the air condenses. It will turn to ice in the winter.
Best,
Mike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Wed May 11, 2005 9:03 am

Gene,

That's completely normal. Just like the condensation on your cold adult (iced tea?) beverage it's caused by the cold surface in humid air.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed May 11, 2005 5:06 pm

I've been having carb ice somewhat lately myself on the H. I don't think vaporizing fuel is the problem. Excellerating air through the venturi causes a drop in pressure and thus a drop in temperature. In A&P school they taught us that it is roughly 30degrees. Therefore the problem will be at its worst at about 60degrees. Colder air is not as big a problem because colder air contains less moisture. This spring time air has been ripe for the condition. Frost will form on the throttle plate and can accumulate to the point that and engine won't idle but may not be noticed above idle. What I do when mine forms carb ice is to just shut it off for a couple of minutes and let it melt. Second time I fire it up it usually is OK after that. This was a topic I brought up a few night ago on the chat forum.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed May 11, 2005 7:24 pm

Colder air holds less water, but the warm air that entered the system is holding plenty more. That moisture is condensing out as it cools inside the manifold so you are getting that water anyway. When it's icing on the outside, it's icing (or snowing) on the inside as well.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”