This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Band Saw Mill Owners

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Band Saw Mill Owners

Postby OliverFarmall » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:06 pm

Don McCombs wrote:David,

Chestnut oak, yes. But American Chestnut, no. There hasn't been any sawable chestnut around here since about the 50's, and that was only standing dead trees. The chestnut blight killed everything in the early 1900's. There are still American Chestnut growing here from old rootstock, but they only get to about 3-4 inches, then the disease gets them. Not big enough for sawable timber or nuts. I'm thinking that what Clint has may be Chinese Chestnut.

Might be horse chestnut we have them around and they have really big spikey nuts that aren't edible.
If they were American Chestnut that's a tragedy if they were cut down as they would be the ones the Chestnut Foundation is looking for to rebreed with .
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:08 pm

summerfi wrote:
How do the Norwood saws tracks hold up ? My concern when looking at them was they didn't seem like they'd be very rigid and would flex under heavy logs or use ?

They hold up very well. They are more rigid than you would think from the pictures. I have the trailer kit for mine so it is mobile. Never had any problems with it at all. I built a 20 x 26 home addition and a 24 x 32 two story shop (see photos) and sawed all the framing lumber on my mill. Worked great. I highly recommend the Norwood. Remember to check your local building codes before constructing a building with home-sawed lumber. Some locations require grade-stamped lumber (i.e. store bought). Fortunately mine does not.

Home addition

Shop

It's good to know, seeing the amount of wood you've put through it with no problems. :D
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Don
This is the nuts that the tree put out. The only other thing is that i gave a piece of the wood to Brad Homested I can have him take a pic of it and send it to me to let you look at it. Maybe you could help me pin point what kind of chest nut it was. I would like to know so i dont make that mistake again. I had no idea that the chestnut tree was in that bad of shape. tells you how much i attention i pay.
Attachments
chestnut.jpg
Have A Nice Day!

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 pm

OliverFarmall wrote:How do the Norwood saws tracks hold up ? My concern when looking at them was they didn't seem like they'd be very rigid and would flex under heavy logs or use ?
Comments ?

Same question for the Hud-Son Oscar ? How sturdy are the tracks ?

So far as the track holding up on the Hud-Son I have not had any problems out of it. you can set it on blocks (that is how i started out is on blocks, just could not wait to saw) or concrete. They offer a trailer for this mill also but I could not fork that much money out at the time and thought i might build one down the road some time.
Have A Nice Day!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:13 pm

Clint,

Judging from the size of the burrs and nuts, I'm 95% certain that it is a Chinese Chestnut. American Chestnut burrs and nuts would be much larger. There are some very isolated American Chestnuts still living and producing nuts. There has been a big effort underway to cross-breed the American and Chinese Chestnuts to create a chestnut that will have the characteristics of the American, but the blight resistance of the Chinese. I am going to a seminar next week where the progress will be discussed.

More information...
http://www.acf.org/
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Don
I find this very interesting, think you for the info. One more thing, when cut into lumber how dose the Chinese and American Chestnut grain compare?
Have A Nice Day!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Clint,

American Chestnut is a tight-grained hardwood, similar to Red Oak, but a different color. Not quite so reddish. I've never seen or heard of anyone milling Chinese Chestnut, but I would think it would be similar. Chinese Chestnut is used as an ornamental and for nut production. It isn't very common.

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/A ... stnut.html
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59808
Tractors Owned: 1955 IH Cub Lo-Boy w/L-22 sickle mower.
My other toys: Hinomoto N209 tractor/backhoe, 1940 and 1941 Chevy pickups, Norwood LM2000 sawmill, PJ 16' trailer.

Postby summerfi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:07 pm

American chestnut grew to a very large size and was one of the most common trees in the eastern hardwood forests. It was a tremendous resource for lumber and mast for wildlife. It's loss due to the chestnut blight, an Asiatic fungus, is one of the greatest ecological tragedies of North America. American chestnut wood is light weight but strong and highly rot resistant. Most of the split rail fences of bygone days were made from chestnut. Nearly all of the standing dead chestnuts were gone by the time I was a kid, but my dad told me stories about them. I still have some wormy chestnut boards that were pulled off my grandma's house in West Virginia when I was perhaps 8 or 10 years old. I'm 63 now and still waiting for just the right project to use those boards. :D

American chestnut

The Chinese chestnut is a lower growing smaller, bushier tree. I don't recall ever seeing lumber cut from one, but my dad had a couple growing in his back yard. While the American chestnuts were known to be quite tasty, I'm not sure how the Chinese variety compares.

Chinese chestnut

My understanding is that the American Chestnut Foundation has been interbreeding American and Chinese chestnuts for many years attempting to develop a hybrid that has most of the physical characteristics of the American variety while having the blight resistance of the Chinese variety. Apparently that has gone pretty well and they are now in a phase of test outplantings into forests.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 pm

Jim John is on the side of a mountain. I have some pictures but they don't do the view justice. I tried to post 1 on the earlier post but had no success.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 pm

summerfi wrote:I still have some wormy chestnut boards that were pulled off my grandma's house in West Virginia when I was perhaps 8 or 10 years old.

What parts of the house would chestnut wood be used for? Trim? Floors? Or just about anywhere? The house (circa 189) I will be dismantling has what looks like full dimension red oak 2x4's. I was wondering what other wood to watch for.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years
My other toys: Hinomoto N209 tractor/backhoe, 1940 and 1941 Chevy pickups, Norwood LM2000 sawmill, PJ 16' trailer.

Postby summerfi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:24 pm

What parts of the house would chestnut wood be used for? Trim? Floors? Or just about anywhere? The house (circa 189) I will be dismantling has what looks like full dimension red oak 2x4's. I was wondering what other wood to watch for.

Grandma's house was on piers, and in her case chestnut was used as a skirting similar to how trailer houses are skirted today. I imagine chestnut could be used as wall or roof sheathing. Oak was a common framing lumber in those days due to it's strength and availability. My great grandparents had a (for the period) fairly fancy farmhouse, and my dad told me that when my grandfather (his dad) was just a youth, he was assigned to hand plane all the chestnut lap siding that was used on the house when it was under construction. That would have been a huge job, even for those days.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:39 pm

Thanks for the info. This house is one of the bigger ones in the small town. I plan to save all the wood I can.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby summerfi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:17 am

Be sure to take pictures. I'd be interested in seeing how you progress and what you find.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:37 am

I will do that. I will start a new thread when I get going with it. I don't want to high jack this thread anymore than I have.

Circle of Safety

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:26 pm

Bill, there was a log cabin located on my property when I bought it 40+ years ago. It had Chestnut sills that were probably 12 to 14 inches square. So they used Chestnut for everything back then. The people I bought my land from had taken the roof off the cabin so it was deteriorating pretty quickly. So I gave the cabin to a guy to move it. I kept one of the sills and my daddy had it cut into 4 inch thick board and used it to make a table. Needless to say here forty years later I would love to have that cabin back. Oh well so it goes, at the time it was probably the best way to save it because the last I heard it was still standing.
Roy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”