This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Band Saw Mill Owners

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer
Circle of Safety: Y

Band Saw Mill Owners

Postby OliverFarmall » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 am

I'm looking into purchasing a Band Saw Mill and was looking into the different companies out there. I figured some folks out here in cubland must own some. If the owners would be kind enough to tell me what they own and their opinions on the mill (what they like and what they don't like) as well as things I should look for a mill to have I'd appreciate it.
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59808
Tractors Owned: 1955 IH Cub Lo-Boy w/L-22 sickle mower.
My other toys: Hinomoto N209 tractor/backhoe, 1940 and 1941 Chevy pickups, Norwood LM2000 sawmill, PJ 16' trailer.

Re: Band Saw Mill Owners

Postby summerfi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:18 am

I did a lot of research on bandsaw mills and ended up buying a Norwood Lumbermate 2000 about 4 years ago. I love the mill and think I made the right decision. It's very well made and I believe it's the best deal for the money. Norwood has now replaced the Lumbermate 2000 with a new model, which I presume is also good but costs slightly more. The 2000 models are available used, and that may be a good cost effective way to go. My mill is all manual (no hydraulics) and unless you are doing a very large amount of sawing on big timber, I think that is fine. Simpler is often better. Norwood's customer service is also tops. Owners on the Norwood forum (http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/forum) have noting but good to say about their machines. Another forum dealing with all brands of mills, though Woodmizer seems to dominate, is http://www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=ba0c3048b48d5690265c6ef1844273dc&board=7.0. Good luck and let me know if I can help further. You'll enjoy owning a mill.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:21 pm

My cousin John used a woodmizer in Bend Oregon to cut the trees from his property to build a gorgeous house. All the framing lumber as well as the clapboard siding. He had a lath attachment that made 8 sided posts to support the deck. With the large and long timbers he used an excavator to handle them. This also kept the bark relative clean so as to stop dirt and stone from causing excessive dulling the blade. Bev and I visited as he was nearly finished. On a hillside overlooking the Pacific it was huge and beautiful.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Jeremy:

Check out Charles' post - Pictures of my Cubs.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:02 pm

I wanted to get in to cutting my own wood about 2 years ago so i did some looking into mills and for the money I went with a Hud-Son Oscar 121. It is all manual also. I love the mill for what i use it for. I cut mostly pine, cedar, and some hardwood. I have cut chestnut & black walnut. It will cut a 20in log which is big enough for me at this time anyway, may want something bigger at a later date if i stay in it. Bad things are that it only came with 12 feet of track so i had to buy one more 6 foot piece for my needs. 18 feet of track will let me cut about 15 foot of board. The blades will last you a lot longer if you debark the log before you cut it, some of the Woodmizers have debarkers mounted on the heads that debark as they saw but that was too rich for my blood.
Attachments
mill4.jpg
mill3.jpg
mill2.jpg
mill1.jpg
Have A Nice Day!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:48 pm

beaconlight wrote:My cousin John used a woodmizer in Bend Oregon to cut the trees from his property to build a gorgeous house. All the framing lumber as well as the clapboard siding. He had a lath attachment that made 8 sided posts to support the deck. With the large and long timbers he used an excavator to handle them. This also kept the bark relative clean so as to stop dirt and stone from causing excessive dulling the blade. Bev and I visited as he was nearly finished. On a hillside overlooking the Pacific it was huge and beautiful.

That must be a heck of a hillside to see the Pacific from Bend.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:30 pm

Clint, where did you get the chestnut?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 pm

One of my neighbors had two trees in his back yard and got tired of picking up the nuts and those make you (bleed) shells, so he cut them down and gave them to one of his friends and the friend asked if i would cut them in to 1in boards for him.
Have A Nice Day!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:34 pm

OK. Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Don, Chestnut Oak grows around here about everywhere, do yawl not have it up there?
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

CharlieB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42701
Tractors Owned: 2 F-Cubs; 1 Low-boy Cub
Massy-Ferguson 135
601 Ford

Postby CharlieB » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 am

I started into sawmilling about 6-7 years ago and the 1st sawmill I bought was a Norwood Lumbermate Mark-4.
that is the mill Norwood built just before the LM2000. I used it for awhile and sold it and bought a new LM2000
in kit form. Did a lot of sawing on both mills and liked them both. They were easy to operate and made perfect
lumber. I later found a good buy on the Woodmizer I have now. I wanted it mainly because it is power feed,
power up and down, and has the log turner that I changed from a manual winch operated to electric winch
operated. I can also use it to winch logs up a ramp onto the mill but usually use my 135 Massey to load.

Here are pictures of the LM Mark-4 and LM2000.....

the LM Mark-4

the LM2000

OliverFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18822
eBay ID: ranger_jer

Postby OliverFarmall » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 am

How do the Norwood saws tracks hold up ? My concern when looking at them was they didn't seem like they'd be very rigid and would flex under heavy logs or use ?
Comments ?

Same question for the Hud-Son Oscar ? How sturdy are the tracks ?
22 sickle bar mower x2
23A tandem disc harrow
144 cultivator (#53 & #97 spring tooth)
154 leveling and grader blade
189 moldboard plow 2-way
193 moldboard plow x2

spring tooth harrows
David Bradley planter (modded for Cub)

Roy47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30549
Tractors Owned: 62 Cub Lowboy
76 Ford 1600
555 Ford backhoe
67 Cub
Economy Jim Dandy
69 Massey Ferguson 135
Yanmar 2700
Case 1840 skid steer
2 - John Deere model 112

Postby Roy47 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:34 am

I have also been wanting to saw some logs that I had been accumulating lately. So I decided to build my own mill. I had a pile of steel, a new Kohler engine that I had bought for another project that I didn't use, so I started cutting and welding. Well last Saturday I sawed my first log. Opening up a log is like opening up a box of chocolates, you never know what's inside. Needless to say I had a ball and got some pretty good looking lumber. I ran into a small technical problem with my drive belt, but a little engineering change this week and I think I'll be able to saw again tomorrow.
I order 6 bands from Suffolk this morning so I've got high hopes of during some serious sawing in the near future.
I'll try to get some pictures this weekend if the weather allows. Our 70 degree weather turned into frozen rain last night. Well so much for an early early garden.
Roy

summerfi
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 59808
Tractors Owned: 1955 IH Cub Lo-Boy w/L-22 sickle mower.
My other toys: Hinomoto N209 tractor/backhoe, 1940 and 1941 Chevy pickups, Norwood LM2000 sawmill, PJ 16' trailer.

Postby summerfi » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am

How do the Norwood saws tracks hold up ? My concern when looking at them was they didn't seem like they'd be very rigid and would flex under heavy logs or use ?

They hold up very well. They are more rigid than you would think from the pictures. I have the trailer kit for mine so it is mobile. Never had any problems with it at all. I built a 20 x 26 home addition and a 24 x 32 two story shop (see photos) and sawed all the framing lumber on my mill. Worked great. I highly recommend the Norwood. Remember to check your local building codes before constructing a building with home-sawed lumber. Some locations require grade-stamped lumber (i.e. store bought). Fortunately mine does not.

Home addition

Shop

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:49 am

David,

Chestnut oak, yes. But American Chestnut, no. There hasn't been any sawable chestnut around here since about the 50's, and that was only standing dead trees. The chestnut blight killed everything in the early 1900's. There are still American Chestnut growing here from old rootstock, but they only get to about 3-4 inches, then the disease gets them. Not big enough for sawable timber or nuts. I'm thinking that what Clint has may be Chinese Chestnut.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”