This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

I-4

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

I-4

Postby Brent » Sun May 01, 2005 8:40 am

:? :? I know nothing about them but I looked at a IH I-4 yesterday. It's all there including the head lights. Surface rust but no major dents in the sheet metal, wires all there and hooked up. Electric start. It doesn't look like anybody botched it up, everything looks original. Needs tires but guy had two rears in good shape he said he would throw in. I couldn't tell if the motor was stuck, no crank and he had it chained to the trailor. I'd like to put a battery in it and see if it turns over but I'm not sure if it's positive or negative ground. Serial# 20101 supposed to be 1937. He's asking $700 but I think I could get it for $500. Anyboby out there know anything about the I-4. How about the asking price? My main concern is parts availability.
Always try the easiest thing first.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun May 01, 2005 9:31 am

The I-4 is the industrial version of the W-4, which is the standard tread version of the Farmall H. The engine and most of the drive train parts will be the same as an H (major exception may be gears of different ratios). So most of those parts will be pretty easy to find.

Since they were an industrial model, most of them tended to get beat up even more than most farm tractors. So clean, straight ones are not very common. According to Guy Fay's book, there were 6,426 built. Don't know when the first I-4 was built, but the first W-4 was 1940 and the last I-4 was 1953. Serial numbers were in sequence with the other 4-Series tractors. 20101 was built in 1948.

The electrical system was positive ground.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun May 01, 2005 9:37 am

Jim,

:D Thanks, If it's a 1948 It's the same year as my Cub. Could that be an omen telling me to buy!
Always try the easiest thing first.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun May 01, 2005 3:50 pm

You Bet!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun May 01, 2005 4:14 pm

Just a reminder I would soak the cylinders with penatrating fluid before trying to turn it over

Good luck Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”