This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Splitting wood

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Splitting wood

Postby cowboy » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:47 pm

After splitting wood yesterday in the heat. And feeling I worked way too hard and long for the wood I got split. A sore back and crick in my neck today. All I can think about how much easier and faster it was using my friends splitter at the farm. I really need to get my new splitter built I have most of the parts I just got to order the rest of the parts and steel and start building. My Grandpa and Brother built the one I am using now 30 years ago. And it does amaze me on what it will split with that little cylinder and it has a decent cycle time. But ergonomically it sux.

When I picked up my friends 3pt splitter. And was talking to his dad in his late 60's he laughed and said he split 13 cords in one day with it and if I couldn't I was a wimp.

Here it is on my 65hp Massy. I thought it would use a lot of fuel. But I split for 11 hrs the first day on less than 5 gal.

On anything from 12 to 20 inch rounds its a one hit wonder. Over 20" you have to resplit some.

In the thick of splitting.

Split some pull up and split more.

11 hrs later I had the first pile split. I'm sure its not 13 cords. But when I ask latter he said he split 13 face cords. Thats a big Difference Gerald! Plus he had his son bringing up all the wood in a skidsteer bucket.

I was too sore to split the next day. So I went over my cousin's and helped him put in some deer feed plots. But the next day I was back at it.

I started out by the sawmill. I had a few cord of pine and spruce that had been sitting around to long to put on the mill. So I cut it up for campfire wood.

The back to the pit to finish another pile there. My back was already getting sore. So I said the heck with it so I fired up the loader and got a bucket of wood and took it to the splitter. So I didn't have to bend over to pick up rounds or carry them much. But I hated all the wear I put on the loader starting and stopping it. Along with the danger of having one of those old hoses break and having the bucket fall on my foot.

The duel wings on the splitter are on a hyd so you can lift it out of the way for smaller logs. Or position it better for bigger ones.

I have a few more cords to split. And I need to cut some cedar 4x4's to stack the wood on. But I am really getting closer to having three years of wood ahead.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Re: Splitting wood

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:09 am

Wow you sure got a lot done. They say wood heats you up 3 times. Maybe the 1st and 3rd are more desirable than the 2nd !
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

Postby Bob Perry » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:11 am

I assume it has its own pump running off the PTO?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:28 am

Billy:

Now I kinda like that splitter head :!: :D Gotta think on that some. I really like how it has it's own cylinder. :?:

Sure looks like a respectable amount of wood split especially in that heat. Massey looks good as does the W-14. Nice toys :D I kinda a little on the envious side :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks Bob

It get handled a lot more than three times :!:
1/ cut it 2/ haul it to the splitting area 3/ split it 4/ haul it and stack it a drying are 5/ load it in a trailer haul to the house throw it in the basement 6/ stack it again 7/ toss it in the stove 8/ haul out the ashes. And repeat :wink:

Yep it has a 21 gpm pto pump.

Thanks Rudi

I split that early june so the heat wasn't bad. Not like yesterday. I shut down everything that made heat even the radio and computer. All I had going was a window air conditioner and a fan. It was 101 deg f and its supposed to be hotter today.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

Postby Bob Perry » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 am

cowboy wrote:Yep it has a 21 gpm pto pump.

I love welding / hydraulic projects... Looking at that multi-wedge that goes up and down, it would be a project I'll think about adding to mine.

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:47 am

I want one with a splitter head like that! Thanks for sharing. --Lee
Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:47 am

Sounds good Bob

Gerald said he had to weld some plates in the wedge end of the beam for reenforce it. He splits a lot of oak and said if there was a knot on the outside edge it wanted to twist the beam. I don't know if I built one I would have one set of cross wedges or two like his. I found if I just wanted to quarter a smaller log I would get I would get a 1 or 2 inch splinter from the top wedge.

Cool Lee

The one I am planing on building is going to have a box wedge on it. While it is a little slower as it doesn't split the whole log at one the splits are a lot more consistent especially on bigger stuff. You still end up getting splinters depending on log size. As you split the unsplit part of the log sits on top of the wedge and you just pull it back it drops down and split again. You are not having to hold the log up or bending over to pick a piece that need to be resplit from the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XcilCzfzdeY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Bo6u2Y5JjkM

Billy

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:20 am

Looks to me like you have 13 face cords done with that backache! :sick:
Each loader bucket (of that size) should hold about a face cord.

Nice Work! Love seeing machinery getting put to good use! Tractors are not fans of parade detail!
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:48 am

:)

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks Outdoors

No trailer queens over here :wink: They all get put to work :!:

Howdy John.

Billy

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”