This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Latest Trade

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

My Latest Trade

Postby Kodiak » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:32 pm

This is my latest trade, Old Table saw for Old Cider Press. It's interesting how it ties into farm equipment.

The press was made by the Thomas & Mast Co. they were formed in 1856
and made grain drills and cider presses until about 1865 when they began to make cultivators and other implements. They lost their identity along with other companies in the 1929 merger into the Oliver Farm & Equipment Company.

I do have the press screw it was so heavy I didn't put it in the picture and all moving parts work!

Kodiak
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:02 pm

good looking rig, shouldn't be too dificult to restore. The one we used to have was only a barrel with a hnd screw and lid.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:33 pm

Hi, Here's a little more history. I've restored a Thomas horse drawn grain drill. John Thomas and P.P. Mast split up. Thomas bought a 1/3 interest in Superior, and also started Thomas Mfg which his sons ran. Superior merged into American Seeding and then Oliver. Thomas Mfg existed up until 1920, but I've never been able to find out if they merged into Oliver or not. I have several old PP Mast catalogs, and I'll see if there are any pictures of the cider presses in them, that show lettering or colors.
Bob

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:54 am

Kodiak,
Looks like you made out pretty good on your trade. How is the best way to handle it? Do you keep it "as is", or do you refurbish it using new wood and cleaning up the metal? What kind of "wood would" you use? I've been looking for something like that myself. I'm either going to fork over the money or find a good deal. I've been waiting for a good deal. :roll:
Larry

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:32 am

rjmac, Anything you can send would be great. I'll send you the links to the merger info I found on Thomas & Mast. Correct colors would be nice.

ljw, I plan to use the press, I'll clean and paint the metal parts (powder coating?) I was going to replace the wood with oak but the wooden parts appear to be hand hewn with a drawknife. The bottom of the legs are rotten from sitting outside. decisions, decisions, decisions??? which way to go! Many thanks to Phantom for being willing to trade with me. Hope the saw works out well for you!

Kodiak
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Fri Apr 01, 2005 12:21 pm

Kodiak,
Are you certain you want to paint the metal? I would think that the metal could be cleaned and seasoned with a food friendly oil, i.e., vegetable oil. I have a press that I use for apples and I never treat anything that comes in contact with the food. I was wondering about the antiquity value of something like that. But after thinking about it, I guess it would have to be restored no matter what. I think you have quite a object d'art there!!
Larry

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:30 pm

That looks like ours did last time I saw it. When it arrived on the farm it looked like new as Great Uncle Will took very good care of it until his apple tree died. I think the wood was all oak and the original pin striping was perfect. It's a shame it sat for so many years under the mulberry tree and deteriorated so badly.

As I recall, the screw had a small wheel on top with four projections for the handle. The loose handle was like a club that could be used with any pair of projections. I think most of the metal parts were painted black and the wood was varnished and then decorated with broad (red) pin striping and maybe some yellow designs. I have no idea of the make.

This was the same great uncle who later sold me my first car... a '37 Chevy when he bought a new '50.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”