This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mantis Tiller

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI
Circle of Safety: Y

Mantis Tiller

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am

Anyone had experience with a Mantis 2 Cycle tiller? My neighbor has one that has been very reliable for several years. This year it would not start at the beginning of the season. After working with it a while, I managed to get it to run fairly good for a while, but no idle. I shut it down and moved the idle screw. Now it will try to start, but will not run.

Lots of negative feedback out on the web about the carb giving problems and little success in fixing it. Should I pull the carb and clean it? I am not a very good carb person. I see that kits and carbs are available from the factory.

Also some indicate that the carb is same as an Echo. ???????????????

What is my next step?
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Mantis Tiller

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:26 pm

I would suggest a compression test. if the compression is low, they will be hard to start. also, if the crankshaft seals are leaky on a 2 cycle that will make it hard or nearly impossible to start.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

batty54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035

Re: Mantis Tiller

Postby batty54 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:17 pm

The earlier models were indeed ECHO engines and are known for bad coils. I just repaired one this weekend for a friend, 59 bucks for a new coil from mantis.
No Cub Yet, but have been servicing them since 1968
"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”