This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

To Good a Deal to pass Up!!

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

To Good a Deal to pass Up!!

Postby Kodiak » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:39 pm

I got this tiller last year from a guy I work with seems it got to where it would go but not till. He told me I could have it if I wanted but if I got it to working he wanted to borrow it one more time. Sears told him the transmission was shot and it wouls cost about $425.00 to fix it. :( I took the trans apart (even though Sears said you couldn't) bought a $3.57 bicycle chain link and presto good as new! :lol:
Works very well, I dug up the garden spot yesterday and planted some cabbage, radishes, and a couple of early tomatoes(very early) Oh yea it's a 6hp 17" tiller. I know Rudi said he didn't like Sears but this was too good to pass up :D
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:04 am

Kodiak: I am currently trying to turn two non-running Troy-bilt tillers into one which runs. Over the years and as the children have grown up and gone, much of our vegetable garden has changed to flowers. I don't really need the tiller but it is always fun to try to bring one up into running condition. I hope that my efforts are as productive as yours have been. Dan

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:31 am

Kodiak,

For some of us, saying something can't be done is like waving a red flag in front of a bull!

One of the reasons is that folks tend to evaluate others' ability by their own.

The other reason is economic. The dealer would much rather sell a $425 part than a $3.57 one.

How often do you suppose a dealer will sell an expensive power steering pump when a simple seal will repair it? That was my experience with the very expensive pump on my Ford 621. They said it couldn't be taken apart. Didn't someone assemble it in the first place?
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:47 am

Kodiak, I would make one suggestion regarding your repair. I have a 4 horse rear tine Smapper that like your sears uses chains. While they are the same size as a bicycle chain, the are heaveir duty. I suggest you go to a farm supply store and get a link for the size chain you have. Occasionally a broken chain on those things can have other disastrous effects.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:24 am

John,
I took the chain to a Industrial supply house and bought a link. It is industrial in nature, your exactly right if the chain falls in the right or wrong place it's all over. One of the biggest problems was a lack of lubrication when assembled the grease just missed where it needed to be and there were no grease fittings (guess what it has now :) )

Thanks Kodiak

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:43 am

Some people seem to have horseshoes aplenty.... :!: :lol: What a great deal :!:

I agree with George on this one. It has become my experience that dealers/parts counter people tend to want to replace instead of repair as it is more advantageous for the company and less work for the parts guy for some reason. Either way, if someone assembled it, someone can repair it! I find a tremendous amount of satisfaction in being able to repair something to get it running again, especially after everybody else has given up. :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:41 pm

The one I have runs in an oil bath rather than grease. don't rmember the weight just off hand, but it was pretty thick.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Rudi I have plenty of horseshoes the problem I have is keeping them on the horse :!: :idea: Of corse you can make some neet rustic coat hangers with them. It does make you feel good to to fix what they (who are those "they" peaple anyways) say can't be fixed :!:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Kodiak » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:56 pm

Rudi / Cowboy

I only have 1 horse shoe, found it ,really rusty and my Father-in law told me that if I was going to hang it up be sure to turn it up so the Good Luck wouldn't fall out :? ......I guess he knew what he was talking about :D

Kodiak

2007 Cub Tug Champion

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”