This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Scott's Lawnmower Transmission

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Scott's Lawnmower Transmission

Postby John C » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:30 pm

We have a Scott's riding lawnmower that Dad purchased around 1998. He got nervous while mowing on a hill one day while it was relatively new and stopped using it. It sat for years until I got it going again a couple years ago.

It mows fine, but this summer we noticed that after a half hour or so, the transmission stops working. After it cools down, it is fine for another half hour.

Looking on the internet, it seems this is not uncommon for many riding mowers; however, replacing the transmission can be expensive.

Anyone have any experience with this; or advice?

Could I have caused damage last year when I was using the mower to pull a heavy trailer through the yard? (Cub wouldn't start that day)
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Scott's Lawnmower Transmission

Postby VinceD » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:49 pm

John, I'm guessing you have hydrostatic drive transmission on your Scott's mower? The kids have one about the same year but it is a standard transmission. Don't think I can be much help on a hydrostatic drive. You might try letting it get warm then change the transmission fluid.
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

John C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30152
Tractors Owned: 1948, 1949, 1953, 1961 Cubs
1941 Minneapolis Moline
1939 John Deere H
1986 IMT 539
Multiple Ford 8Ns that aren't any good

Postby John C » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:35 am

VinceD wrote:John, I'm guessing you have hydrostatic drive transmission on your Scott's mower? The kids have one about the same year but it is a standard transmission. Don't think I can be much help on a hydrostatic drive. You might try letting it get warm then change the transmission fluid.

That's correct; it is a hydrostatic drive. I do recall my father was not impressed by the hydrostatic mowers.

Had not thought about changing the fluid.
"If every day were a holiday, sport would soon become chore"

VinceD
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65626
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Frodo"
1949 Cub "Sam" (future Project)
1965 Lo-Boy "Pippin"
1940 H "Walter"
1953 SC "Gimli"
Cub Cadet HDS 2155
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby VinceD » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:49 am

John, one other thing I thought of this morning - "sometimes" hydrostatic drives have a seperate fluid cooler - like a mini radiator. If there is one, make sure it is clean. I have also seen some units with a small fan blade on the outside of the transmission to help with the cooling. If there is one, is it clean and working? Just a couple of ideas. Good luck. :D :D
Vince
High atop Hummingbird Hill
In the Missouri Ozarks

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”