2000 Ranger

Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:46 pm

I'm trying to find some info an the fuel line filter fittings for a 2000 Ranger. The fittings on my truck seem to be non standard and I hate to break something. The Haynes I have does not show my particular type fitting. Anyone ever messed with one?

Thanks, Ken
Last edited by KenHigginbotham on Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:16 pm

Ken, there is a site for Ford Rangesr that is very similiar to this one. They have both technical and general foreums. http://www.therangerstation.com Click on forums or tech library near the top of the page.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:58 am

Thanks John. I browsed the tech stuff and didn't see anything. So I posted a meessage in the forum.

Ken

Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:44 am

Ken, If they look like they slip on with some kind of clip, I think you need a special tool.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:27 am

I had forgotten about that until Carm posted, but I have seen posts on the Rangerstation about needing a special tool. I believe it's availabel at most auto parts store. If i remember correctly it was stated they sell a cheap occasional use one, and a good mechanics version.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:43 am

Ken, if the Ranger is anything like the F150's fuel filter you do need a special tool. A couple bucks from the local NAPA or what-have-you. The tool halves will encircle the line and slide into the junction on the filter. Push further in to cause the release. Also, put a container under the filter when you disconnect. There's about a pint of fuel that's gonna come out with the end of the fuel line.
Dave

Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:29 pm

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't think I have those types of fittings...

I'll do a picture when I get home...

Thanks again,
Ken

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:10 pm

Got 'er done. Finally had to talk with a mech at the ford deal. He confirmed what suspected. Pull out the plastic clips and replace them with new ones...

Thanks for the help!
Ken

Here's a picture of the clip and the filter with the clip installed:

Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:34 am

Here's another:

I can't find the door switch that turns the dome light, etc off. Some time the dome light, etc will stay on after all the doors are closed. I assume it must be some kind of hidden magnetic switch?

Thanks for anyones help...
Ken

Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:39 am

Common problem. It's part of the latch inside the door. Turns the light off when the latch closes. a liberal application of spray oil sometimes helps. If it's a 4 door, make sure the rear door is closed good.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:10 am

Hum... Inside the latch mechanizm - Didn't think of that...

Thanks,
ken

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:44 am

It gets to be more of a problem in cold weather, usually on the drivers door.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:48 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:It gets to be more of a problem in cold weather, usually on the drivers door.

Man, you hit the nail on the head...

BTW, Here one more; The wipers will just come for no reason. No pattern here. I assume it's the wiper/light switch lever thing on the steering column. What do you think? Think an average Joe could replace one of these?

ken

Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:54 pm

Never had that problem...How hard could it be to replace .....Famous last words :D .BTW remind me not to buy a 2000 Ranger. Dag, my 89 never had that many issue in its lifetime.

Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:29 pm

Never came across that problem, but that is the most likely cause, though it could also be the switch on the motor that keeps them from stopping in mid stroke. I have to go to town tomorrow, I'll ask the guys at the local /Ford garage. Over the last 16 years or so I've bought 6 new or used vehicles from them, they tend to be nice to me.