This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Small Saturday Surprises - And they now run!

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Small Saturday Surprises - And they now run!

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:34 am

Rosie and I took a little ride and before I knew it Rosie was fiddling with the new Cub Locator System (CLS). Rosie is not to be trusted around anything electronic. A few years ago she had the GPS taking us to Nashville when we were supposed to be headed to Rick Prentice’s for Ohio Cubfest 2009. Anyway, the new CLS can be dialed in to find items alphabetically or any other manual setting you desire. I always punch in “Cub” and leave it at that.

Rosie played around with the alphabetical sequence and had A, B, C, & D programmed in before I could stop her. The next thing I knew we had a trailer load of items the magnets latched on to and slung on board.

I ended up with:
A) Anybody’s guess – It looks to be home made since there are no tags anywhere. It is not a running piece but shows potential.

B) Bolens – It appears to be from the 1950’s and is a non runner at this time but turns easy enough.

C) Craftsman – This table saw is another non-runner but has numerous parts that will come in handy on my identical saw.

D) David Bradley - this hood doesn’t run either, the engine is missing and will need a large cash infusion to make it runnable again.

There were no Cubs hiding out there today but, all in all, it was a nice Saturday morning ride. I’m just glad there were no Caterpillar D6 dozers sitting out there. That would have really bogged down the Cub Retrieving System (CRS, again)
Last edited by Barnyard on Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Re: Small Saturday Surprises

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:44 am

Bill - go to the auxilary control panel and activate the spousal override feature. (Unless, of course you intend to build an inventory of 342 two wheel tractors.)
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Darrell,
Rosie already has the "D" setting in place. Just wait till the "J" setting clicks in. Before we can stop him, there will be GREEN all over the barnyard. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 pm

Unidentified 2 wheeled garden tractor - probably commercially built - at least initially. There were well over a hundred manufacturers of 2 wheeled garden tractors in the USA.

There is or was a considerable number of attachments available for them. Some unusual accessories were a buzz saw, paint sprayer and an air compressor.

Perhaps the seller has more attachments for the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson

Postby Tezell » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Cool Stuff Bill! :big afro:
"I ain't believing this!"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm

Bigdog wrote:go to the auxilary control panel and activate the spousal override feature.

Thanks Darrell, I am so used to using the defaults settings (reccomended) that I tend to shy away from the advance settings when loading any software. I got it straightened out now. I guess I need to set the GPS on my own from now on. Good thing I know my way to the Tug otherwise I'd end up in Gillsville Georgia three months early. :lol:

Mr E wrote:Rosie already has the "D" setting in place. Just wait till the "J" setting clicks in. Before we can stop him, there will be GREEN all over the barnyard.

Roy, we recycle in the barnyard, but we are not that green. :D

Eugene wrote:Perhaps the seller has more attachments for the tractor.

When I first talked to the seller, he said there may be more stuff. It belonged to his Stepdad and it has been sitting for the last four years. He said he was cleaning out the sheds for his Mom. When I picked everything up we couldn't find anymore attachments. He said he would call if anything turned up.

I checked the oil, and the sediment bowls and gas tanks were clean as can be so I dumped a bit of gas in the tanks. They fired right up. The guy said he and his son rebuilt motorcycles. I would have thought they would have tried to start these to get more out of them.

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

Postby jwl » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Your unknown tractor appears to be a Great Lakes "Chief" built about 49-50. Looks pretty much like the one in my garden tractor books. There are around 300 differnt companys listed in the various books and manuals i have here. I'm thinking having 342 differnt garden tractors would be very cool. I only managed to get up to around 100, before common sence and my wife caught up with me.

jeff

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Small Saturday Surprises - And they now run!

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 pm

I do not know who made it, but we used to have the twin to your unknown tractor, but it had larger bicycle type tires on it and a brush saw that also included a rotary mower blade. That blade broke off close to the hub one day and the handles nearly beat me to death before I got it shut down.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:27 pm

Man this post brought back some memories.....I got my gradpa's Craftsman table saw from along time ago....short walk to the shed and here it is...
I should probably clean it up and oil it..
Robert (always another project) Miller

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250

Postby Yogie » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:36 pm

I love the ole walk behinds, when we were kids we'd run them for miles on the back roads going from place to place. :lol:
Dad still has a couple of our old David Bradleys that we used to move snow.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:55 pm

Source "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors". C.H. Wendel.

Yellow 2 wheeled garden tractor could be a "Chief" or an "Economy Chief" built by Great Lakes Tractor Company, Rock Creek, Ohio.

Pictures in the book are black and white, fuzzy, and provide limited views. One tractor called "Big Chief" shows a wheel drive mechanism similiar to the yellow 2 wheeled tractor.

1953 (1950's) price range on 2 wheeled garden tractors built by Great Lakes Tractor Company was from $147- to $268-.

Edit: There is a lot of attachments still available that will mount up to the 2 wheeled garden tractors. Web search for Simplicity 2 wheeled garden tractors.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Eugene wrote:Source "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors". C.H. Wendel.

Yellow 2 wheeled garden tractor could be a "Chief" or an "Economy Chief" built by Great Lakes Tractor Company, Rock Creek, Ohio.

Pictures in the book are black and white, fuzzy, and provide limited views. One tractor called "Big Chief" shows a wheel drive mechanism similiar to the yellow 2 wheeled tractor.

1953 (1950's) price range on 2 wheeled garden tractors built by Great Lakes Tractor Company was from $147- to $268-.

Edit: There is a lot of attachments still available that will mount up to the 2 wheeled garden tractors. Web search for Simplicity 2 wheeled garden tractors.

You learn something here every day. Rock Creek is just a few (very few) miles from me, in the county I was raised in. :) :)

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Here are several closeups if it will help identify the yeller one. After reading Jeff's and Eugene's posts I am leaning towards the Great Lakes "Chief".

Thanks for the replies.

I have know Idea as to why I added these to the barnyard collection. I guess, since the guy said they were non-runners I wanted a challenge. :lol:

Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 pm

Handle bars and set up looks like the Chief garden tractor pictured in "Standard Catalog of Farm Tractors". C.H. Wendel. Not 100% sure it's a Chief - but it's very very close. Tractor pictured in the reference has a belt guard and no wheel weights.

Source:
By 1947 the Chief garden tractors were available in three sizes of 1, 2, and 2 1/2 horsepower. Apparently, all three models used the same basic chassis, but the engines used were Briggs & Stratton, Continental, and Ultimotor respectively.

I may even have an air cleaner for that engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jwl
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 52738

Postby jwl » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm

according to the books i have here, the tractor was orginally built using a 2" wide flat belt. By looking at the time progresion of the pictures it looks they went to a twin v belt later. It also said that there was a reverser, maybe that part is missing from yours. I saw some of these on the net and they appear to have been orange in color. The part sticking oput the front may be part of a snow blade. I think the whole unit looks pretty good even if there are parts missing.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”