This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Massey Harris Pony ?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Massey Harris Pony ?

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:23 pm

Have found a nice original Massey Harris Pony a few mile from here. Also its the first tractor shown in RFDTV's Classic Tractor Calendar this week. Looks like a neat little machine.

I like this tractor, BUT..Compared to the Farmall Cub:

How is parts availablity?

How many were made?

What are they worth :roll:

Anyone had experience with these?

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:28 pm

Never owned one myself, but have thought about it a few times.
Price is a bit higher than Cubs, sinsce most people are selling them as collectors tractors.
Parts and attachments are considerably harder to find, since they never became nearly as popular as a Cub.
People I know who have owned them really liked them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Massey Harris Pony ?

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:51 pm

mltiema wrote:I like this tractor, BUT..Compared to the Farmall Cub:

Anyone had experience with these?

Thanks

Mike,

I thought we resolved this issue at CubFest 2004! Maybe we did this before you arrived?

There's old Scruffy pulling his heart out! The Pony does have a couple more horsepower, and maybe a little more weight.

Actually, both tractors dug holes and it was a draw.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:18 pm

George I member now, but fergot before you reminded me...Man.. that seems like it was a long time ago. I had a great time :lol: :lol:

He wants $800. The motor is stuck.

:roll:

Mike

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:27 pm

There was about a 2 month running ad in the local paper here for a 1948? good running MH-Pony with many attachments for $1795 if that is any indication of what they are selling for. I never did go look at it for fear that I would probably bring it home with me. Who knows, I might have missed out on a great deal.
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:16 pm

john, a good running pony with all the sheet metal in good shape would have been a buy at 1750 without the implements.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:44 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:john, a good running pony with all the sheet metal in good shape would have been a buy at 1750 without the implements.

:o is me then. Oh well, I still haven`t finished My Cub yet. Gotta wait for good weather and that will be a month or 3. I have another Cub and a 1944 J.D.-LA being delivered this spring when the snow leaves the mountains so I will have more work than I can handle. :P
Then came Bronson

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:49 pm

I had o 1947 Pony. I redid the whole thing It looked some sweet. I had a mower, Plow, cultivators to go with it. It did run nice. but..... it was a massey and I'm kinda partial to the farmalls and deere's. The seial # was 100091, making it the90th pony ever made. They started with 100001. I sold it to my neighbor whose father had oneon the farm when they first came out. I had all manuals with it too. Sold it for 2500.00.
Mike
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Arizona Mike » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:52 pm

Stuck motor and all I would like to see it over here instead of sitting along the highway. Have been reading the adventures of KenHigginbotham. Probably could get this one running if I could call someone like JP or Tom for a part needed. Anyone know more about parts availability for the Pony :?:

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:10 pm

Mike:

Surprisingly there are a few lads on this forum who are Pony owners and a few of us who have chums who have Pony's. They were very popular here and David usually has access to Pony, Pacer and Mustang parts on a regular basis which would make the parts reasonable.

My buddy Roger who is my electrician and my lobster fishing chum own's a Pony. I have been helping find parts for him on the net through our forum and the Massey Harris forum.

So far we have gotten him the sickle mower, a single plow and a belt pulley for the mower for him -- most of it still sitting beside my IH implements.

As I said the Pony was very popular here for some reason, and they are quite collectible but kinda common. Nice tractor, but I still favour my Cub - much prettier I find and easier to like than the Pony. I guess it is all about lines and asthetics which really is a personal preference.

They are a good tractor and very restorable.

You might want to rescue that Pony after all. Besides, be nice to have another tractor that is in the same class as a Cub, but not really ifn you know what I mean :D :D :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:53 pm

The "HOT LINE ANTIQUE TRACTOR GUIDE" says there were 21,669 Pony's built. It had a Continental 4 cylinder engine with 62 cu in, 2.375 X 3.50 bore & stroke, 8.31 drawbar hp, 10.34 belt PTO hp, weight of 1,520 lbs.

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:37 am

Rudi wrote:
As I said the Pony was very popular here for some reason, and they are quite collectible but kinda common.

The Pony was a Canadian (Woodstock, Ontario) built tractor which probably accounts for the availablity of implements and used parts there. It used the same engine as an Allis Chalmers G.

Ike

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:53 am

Ike wrote:
Rudi wrote:
As I said the Pony was very popular here for some reason, and they are quite collectible but kinda common.

The Pony was a Canadian (Woodstock, Ontario) built tractor which probably accounts for the availablity of implements and used parts there. It used the same engine as an Allis Chalmers G.

Ike

Yup! Canadian built.

Lest someone gets the wrong idea, the engine is the same size Continental as an Allis G but they do not interchange.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:13 am

Yup,

The Pony along with ALL the other Massey Harris tractors were designed and built in Canada. Massey turned into Massey-Harris Ferguson in the late 50's and then into Massey-Ferguson a couple years later.

This company also shared the same type of heritage as IH. Small company, buys other small companies and becomes big company over time.

Cockshutt is another very popular make around here - again a Canadian company.

There are some Oliver's but not many.

A chum of mine up the road has a Cub, a Pony (actually 2), a Pacer, 2 Allis G's, and a bunch I cannot remember at the moment. I think he just likes tractors. The last one he rebuilt was a JD2... Dozer. Nice!
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:48 pm

Rudi wrote:Yup,

The Pony along with ALL the other Massey Harris tractors were designed and built in Canada. Massey turned into Massey-Harris Ferguson in the late 50's and then into Massey-Ferguson a couple years later.

This company also shared the same type of heritage as IH. Small company, buys other small companies and becomes big company over time.

Cockshutt is another very popular make around here - again a Canadian company.

There are some Oliver's but not many.

A chum of mine up the road has a Cub, a Pony (actually 2), a Pacer, 2 Allis G's, and a bunch I cannot remember at the moment. I think he just likes tractors. The last one he rebuilt was a JD2... Dozer. Nice!

Massey Harris also had a plant in Racine, Wisconsin that they obtained when they bought out Wallis. :D

Ike

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”