No Compression

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:36 pm

A few months ago, I put an overhaul kit in my '45 B Farmall; pistons, rings sleeves, etc. Everything was done by the book. I decided today to adjust the valves. I found TDC on the compression stroke on 1 and set the appropriate valves. When I started turning the hand crank with my finger in 4 plug hole, no compression. :shock: I have good compression on 1 and 3 but, there is none on 2 and 4. I have two guesses:

1) The piston rings are not orientated correctly on 2 and 4 pistons, or

2) The piston rings on 2 and 4 are stuck to the pistons.

Either way, I am still going to have to remove the head and pan and push these two pistons out to find the problem :evil:

Any other ideas I might consider :?:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:41 pm

You might add a little Kroil and see if they free up.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:57 pm

I find it hard to believe that the rings would stick if they were oiled at all during assembly and the engine hasn't been run.

I hate to ask this, because I know you know how to do it. But are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you adjusted the the valves on cylinders 2 and 4 with the engine in the right position? With cylinder 1 up on compression, adjust valves 1, 2, 3 and 5. Rotate 1 full revolution and adjust 4, 6, 7 and 8. (count valves from front of engine).

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:05 pm

C.B.,

I find a problem with valves easier to believe than stuck new rings. I have had valves stick in new guides if they set for a little while.

I'd remove the valve cover and check carefully in there first. Oops... the cover must already be off! Oil the valve stems and work them a bit and then re-check the clearance in the order Jim suggested.

Even if you followed the wrong order it could only result in too much clearance.

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:41 pm

"I hate to ask this, because I know you know how to do it. But are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you adjusted the the valves on cylinders 2 and 4 with the engine in the right position? With cylinder 1 up on compression, adjust valves 1, 2, 3 and 5. Rotate 1 full revolution and adjust 4, 6, 7 and 8. (count valves from front of engine"

Jim, I did adjust valves 1, 2, 3, and 5 with 1 on TDC compression stroke. I never could find the compression stroke on 4 to adjust valves 4,6,7, and 8. One full revolution means #4 TDC compression stroke, right :?: :oops:

"I'd remove the valve cover and check carefully in there first. Oops... the cover must already be off! Oil the valve stems and work them a bit and then re-check the clearance in the order Jim suggested."

George, I have lubed the valve stems with MMO. I hope you are right.

I was talking with Russ Leggitt on the phone a moment ago. He said something that got me to thinking. I suspect I might have some rockers on these cylinders holding the vlaves open preventing compression. :roll: I am going to check this and report back. :wink:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Well, I am sorry to have bothered all of you but, I just now returned from going out and backing off on the adjustment on valves 4, 6, 7, and 8 and I now have compression. :D :D :D Of course, the MMO could have un-stuck those valves....who knows :?:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:34 pm

C.B.,

Glad you found the problem! It sure beats fixing what ain't broke. Quicker too. :lol:

Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:45 pm

Glad you got to the bottom of it. I usually manage to think of the worst possible situation when something like this comes up too.

And yes, cylinders 1 and 4 are 1/2 way around the firing order from each other, so one full revolution of the crank takes you from TDC on compression of one to the other.