This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Near death experience

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Near death experience

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:33 pm

The following was posted by EricB on the Farmall forum of YTMAG. Needles ti say he got a lot of replies and advice, most of which was a little late.

Like many Farmalls my W4 has the choke and starter button mounted in the lower left. It is very awkward to reach both at the same time. For the last 30 years(about 5000 starts)I have stood just behind the tractor and started it from the standing position. May 20th at 4:33 PM after a busy day I need to get it out of the shed. Its a small shed and I park them close together.
Yep! It started. It was in reverse! It instantly crushed my chest into the tire of the next tractor behind me. I struggled to hit the kill switch and waited for the last four turns of the engine. I placed the tractor in 1st and moved it ahead on the starter to free myself. Only then did I notice my leg moved ahead with the tractor. The draw bar had gone through my boot, through my leg and out the other side. I removed my leg from the bar,got a clean rag from the lambing box in the barn and used my belt over the missing section of my leg to control bleeding then hobbled 100 yards to the phone in the house.
A month in hospital but I was real lucky. My leg looks weird but it works Ok!
I learned ALWAYS BE SITTING INFRONT OF THE CONTROLS BEFORE STARTING THE TRACTOR.
Have a Happy and Safe New Year!
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:44 pm

Lucky to be alive! He is a man of steel to have been able to help him self.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:51 pm

Always always shake hands with the gear shift lever as soon as you get close enough to your tractor to do so. I never ever leave one in gear. Some kid may come pull the starter rod. Let a wheel roll against a tree or leave pressure down on some implement. Scotch it with a big rock.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:05 pm

THAT IS AMAZING. I hope he recovers soon
Image On To Bigger Things

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Thu Jan 13, 2005 6:53 pm

there are too many stories of that type, unfortunately. sure glad you managed to extricate yourself.

I think we ALL start them from the ground, mostly from in front of the tire. my practice is, as jim says, shake hands with the shifter. but i do it probably at least twice before hitting the starter. AND, neutral always when they are shut down.

speaking on the topic of starting, a friend was cranking a CAT 15 last summer. broke his wrist badly when it kicked back. always pull UP on the crank and place your thumb next to your index finger, not around the crank. make sure you have retarded the spark for starting.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”