This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tractor accident update

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Tractor accident update

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:36 pm

Many of you probably remember my posting about 3 months ago about a friend that was brushhoging when his loader caught a wild grape vine and broke a large limb out of a tree striking him on the back of the head and neck leaving him paralized. He was making progress recovering from the paralisis, but an infection from the long exposure (spent a day and a half slumped over the tractor steering wheel before he was found) started destroying his organs. While he was still able to talk he told his wife and the Doctors that he did not wish to continue as he was, since he was progressively getting worse and only was being kept alive by machines with no hope for recovery. Last Friday they disconnected the breathing apparutus and he died shortly afterward. He was a husband, father, grandfather, and friend who will be missed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:44 pm

That is sad news John. I understand his feelings though and would probably do the same thing. It's never easy to lose a friend or loved one, especially at this time of year.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:05 pm

We have never put it in writing, but Joann and I have discussed if a similiar situation should happen to us that we wouldn't want to be kept existing by machines with no hope for recovery.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:54 pm

Make out a living will and a health care Proxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Explain just how you feel have a proxy and an alternate. My fathers mother had a stroke and was kept alive by machimes for 4 1/2 years unconcious. We all went through hell, eventually we got all the machines off her but the feeding tube kept her going even after she was brain dead. It destroyed everyone and I feel it was the strain that killed my fathers sister Ruth.
My mother died last february and when she was past saving we were able to keep them from torturing her by making her a medical experiment.

Make a living will and health care proxy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iremember you talking about your friend . God bless him..

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:07 pm

Put your wishes in writing and do to tomorrow. Discussing these issues with family is good but don't assume they can carry out your wishes when the time comes. There are specific legal documents you need to draft so your wishes are carried out.

You need a Medical Power of Attorney stating the limits of life-supporting efforts in your behalf. Next have a Durable Power of Attorney drawn up assigning someone to take care of your finances when you can not. THIS IS ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT IF YOU SURVIVE A DEBILATATING INJURY OR ILLNESS. Complete the package with a Revocable Living Trust so your money and belongings pass quickly to exactly the people you want it to go to, without wasting time and money on Probate Courts fees and a public accounting of your estate.

I've been down this road three times now with family members. The onus of when to end your life should not rest on the shoulders of your loved ones or the whims of strangers. Emotions will run high and people will not act rationally in your behalf. Trust me.

Little Indy
10+ Years
10+ Years
eBay ID: falco-de-fiume

tractor accident update

Postby Little Indy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:21 am

In My Not So Humble Opinion (IMNHO), there is a big moral differance in being brain dead and in a permanent vegative state. With one you are dead and it is quite appropriate to remove everything (respirator, feeding tube, IV's etc,) and morally should be done. With the other it is more of personal choice. Personally I do not want to live in such a state and have instructed my wife to remove the respirator, feeding tube, IV's if I am in permanent coma. The state of brain death can be determined with very good accuracy. The state of permanent coma is harder but two very good clinical examinations by a doctor who knows what to can determine the patient's state. Living wills help releive any guilt feelings that a spouse (or close relative) might have inturning off the respirator. Power of attorney hepls when dealing with the medical profesion
Si hoc legere scis,nimium eruditionis habes.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”