This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH running gear question

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

IH running gear question

Postby lloyd430 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey folks its been a while since I've posted, but don't worry I've still been keeping up on things here :D OK I was out back last year and came across and old running gear- I thought what the heck lets pull it out of the prickers and use it. It took about an hour blood, sweet and a chain saw! It was quite the sight all 4 tires where flat- but only on one side! :lol: so it thumped along. After I got it back to the barn, jacked it up and started to take the rims off- steel spoked rims!!! Its a small running gear I figure it was for a gravity wagon or some other machinery. Anyways when I removed the hub caps they all where stamped "13021" this number looked familier but I couldn't place it. Every part has the old IHC circle in the castings. Anyways I searched 13021 and its Auburn, NY zip code! About 20 miles south of me! So this running gear was made local :{_}: At this point I decided not to use it but to restore it :shock: Sandblaster and wire wheel have been my friends- my wife calls them my dirty friends, I tell her I could do worse! Anyways I am to the point where it needs a little color, when I searched I really can't find anything. My rims have red paint, frame looks to have been red and the tounge looks like it was white, but I'm not sure on any of it. :? I did find this image of somebody elses running gear- but it doesn't match mine, that could be thier artistic impression tho. I was wondering if anyone had a image of such a thing in its orignial condition or better yet if some of you fellers remember using or seeing a running gear like this. Below is the link for the one I found online. Thanks for any help.

http://www.tractorshed.com/contents/tpic31844.htm

Jason
1947 Farmall Cub, SN 9920

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH running gear question

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:21 pm

If your running gear is the same vintage as the one in the picture the number isn't a zip code. they didn't have zip codes back then. Most likely a part number.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:12 pm

@$#* Bigdog I knew I could count on you, yep zip codes didn't start till July 1, 1963- so I quess that answers the age old question "What came first....... the part number or the zip code!!!!" How much of a cowinky- dink that the part number would be the same as the city it was made in? That number is the only number that I can find on the entire thing! I just find IHC casted everywhere.Now I have to figure out where this leaves me?!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:31 pm

Another clue is the old circle IHC logo - I don't recall just when they stopped using that but it was back a ways. The small size of the gear would fit in with the early time frame as well.
As far as the color scheme - I would suspect all red but the thought of a red frame, white wheels and blue caps sounds quite appealing to me.
Bigdog

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:53 am

It's a small world after all! (seems I've heard that phrase somewhere) I have a gear like that one, mine's rust colored! I can't help you on the color scheme, but in those days, equipment manufacturers didn't get too flashy with colors. I'd guess probably all red but that far back, IH was still using some gray. I hope your wheel bearings are good, they're still available but are very pricey.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:08 am

Gary the bearings are actually really good, that was going to be another option was to part it out- but after talking with a lot of people mine appears to be the most complete. So at that point I decided to redo her, its kind of funny after all theses years everything becomes its natural color............... rust!!!! The DMV told me I had to paint a trailer once because rust wasn't a color, maybe I should have told them the color was 'o-natural. There is some traces of red on the rims, and white in the toungue as far as the frame and the hub caps I have no idea. Later today I'll have to take so images of it to get everyone's nickles worth (inflation you know). Thanks for your input.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:07 pm

lloyd430 wrote: I had to paint a trailer once because rust wasn't a color,

You couldn't find a paint chart with a color rust on it?

One reasonable guess on the original colors of the wagon gear would be a red frame with cream wheels.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:29 pm

BigDog I didn't have time for pics today I went to the Steam Show instead- but srfing tonite I found this.........you win!

http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/library ... 073_01.gif

Now that I've got the color scheme- back to the wire brush!

Thanks
Jason Lloyd
aka Lloyd430

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:38 pm

OK - but you gotta promise pictures of the finished product. :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
Bigdog

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:41 pm

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:11 am

Thanks Jim thats where I got the finial decision from.

lloyd430
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lloyd430 » Sun May 04, 2014 9:01 pm

Well folks its been a LONG (4years) time but I did tell you when I got the running gear redone I'd post pics... :{_}: :-:-): .................Ok here is the link to the pics because my camera won't take a file small enough!!! There is a couple of before pics as well. The brackets for the rear axle to hold the rack on have to be reattached they are just sitting there. I don't think the tongue is original and I know the hitch isn't (I made it). Its got old truck tires for now, 2 tubes are good, the other two seem to have holes in them from my screw driver mounting tool. :roll:

http://apictureofyou.smugmug.com/Other/IHC-wagon/38995031_ZNxHBm#!i=3222612081&k=hpzRz5g

And now the link isn't working, but you can copy and paste to your browser... :?

I didn't forget, I just got around to it.

Smokeycub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44266
Tractors Owned: 48 F Cub #11678
65 Cub Cadet 104
70 450C JD loader
67 Cub Cadet 107
90 B7100HST-D Kubota
72 Cub Cadet 149
54 Super C

Postby Smokeycub » Tue May 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Interesting project. Now all you need is a body! Looking good though. :coffee: Here's your link.
http://apictureofyou.smugmug.com/Other/ ... &k=wVjkh8f
Ray
Smokeycub
Attachments - 193 plow - 144 cultivator - 22 mower - 28A disc harrow - 54 leveling blade - Woods 59C2 - drag harrows - Mott D9 flail - flat belt pulley
The squeaky wheel may get the grease but it's usually the first to be replaced!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”