This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Jeep-a-trench

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Jeep-a-trench

Postby SONNY » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:23 am

Just got this dude in a package deal!

This one has the rare 7,500 pound dual wheel rear axle and extra heavy frame (factory equipped). I have known this jeep since it was new and it has dug more miles of tile than I would care to count!
I dont have the money or time to restore it, so it will go into the shed for now I guess! thanks; sonny

RustyFarmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51646

Re: Jeep-a-trench

Postby RustyFarmall » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:41 am

Very interesting!! That's the first one I have seen with dual rear wheels. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Barnyard » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Here's one I have seen around now and then. It was at the local strawbwerry festival but the owner wasn't around to talk to.

This is a backhoe Jeep owned by a guy I know. It has a dozer blade on the front tat has trmendous down pressure. With the blade and outriggers down he can lift the Jeep off the ground.

I'd like to have a dually some day.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:24 pm

The backhoe and blade were also factory set-up and used on the heavy dual wheel jeep! thanks; sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:47 pm

At one time i believe they thought the 4x4 jeep would replace the tractors in plowing the fields. This is why they offered all the attachments and the rear PTO for it.

I have the rear transfer case PTO setup on my jeep tractor, i'm going to use it to drive the hydraulics for the dump rock body i built for it.

You could also use the rear transfer case PTO to drive a third axle too. But you would only have high range.

I got my '55 jeep tractor from an old timer about 15 years ago and it just won't stop running. I named her christine like the movie.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 pm

The Jeeps were quite handy in their place and on lots of tasks around the farm but also had limits!-----The Empire tractor was made from surplus Jeep parts after WW 2 and used battleship deck plating for the floorboards!---I was going to use thes unit for making an Empire wannabe, BUT thought he was selling me the old Willies and NOT the dual wheel Cj!---I knew the Cj was unique, so no way that I will destroy this little guy! thanks ;sonny

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:59 am

These are very rare since most older jeeps were just let outside in the fields to rot. There wre amaising vechicles and are rock solid runners if you find one in great shape. I upgraded an 80's CJ7 with the 4:27:1 gearing with posi's, w granny 4 speed and the 307 v8. But even with the larger tires it liked to visit every gas station but it was a beast. We took this jeep up to the north country in the national forest bear hunting and it was awesome on the old trails and logging roads.

Then I went out in search of a snowblower and i found my jeep tractor in thr rough. An old timer orginally built it to haul out fire wood with a boom it had on the rear. The old 134f head still runs awesome today. I did modify a 73 v8 frame by boxing it front to rear with 3/8" plate when the orginal 55 frame rusted out. I had parted out 3 jeeps before so i kept all the good parts. This jeep sits all summer waiting to plow in the winter time. And she is so faithful she starts up every fall and seems to run better and better. She is really alive just like the movie christine.

We had so much fun with the cj7 in 99 i ordered a new wrangler with most of the options like the dana 44 rear with posi, extra heavy duty suspension with gas shocks/larger tires plus the heavy duty 3 speed automatic tranny with no overdrive. I figure as she gets older i'll have another toy to play with. Its the misses jeep for now. But soon the misses will get a new car so it will be mine to build next.

Its a jeep thing but you don't know until you really drive and use one. I built a few larger 4x4 trucks but nothing compares to were the jeep can really go when the trees get tight.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:57 pm

I had a cj-2-A at one time.--someone had put a 327 chevy v-8 with a full race cam in it!--talk about doing wheel stands!----I used to run coyotes down with it when they came onto our farm!--didnt need no gun, just me and ole' jeep!
Former owner bought it from original modifyer to use in mud drags!---won lots of trophys with it! thanks; sonny

krisb
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby krisb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:14 pm

Holy Cow

Sonny I might know that jeep. My dad grew up in Springfield and I too am from Springfield. He always talked about the Jeep they snow plowed with when he was younger. He said they put dully wheels on it, it had a custom cab that was purple and I think maybe made from wood, and that he blew the original engine and replaced it with a Ford I think.

I see you are from Illinois and I wonder what the chances are that your new jeep and the one my dad always described seem to bare such a close resemblance to each other.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 pm

This trencher jeep I have is factory equipped as shown in pics.---never had anything modified on it and was bought new by the previous owner---I am the second owner---he had several jeep trenchers at one time and ran a farm drainage business his whole life! thanks; sonny

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:21 am

Sonny, not sure if you would want the info, but there is a guy here in Ohio that collects and restores jeeps and he has three with the 3-pt hitch and rear PTO attachments on them.

His name is John Ittel and he lives in Oxford Ohio. Pretty sure that the 1st picture that Bill posted showing the rear 3-pt hitch on a jeep with rear duals is one of John's CJ-2.

John's number is 513-524-1514 and I'm sure if you had any questions or just wanted to shoot the bull with him he'd be more than happy to chat with you.

MD
Mike Duncan

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:13 pm

Thanks for the info Mike!!!---I might just offer him the chance to own another jeep! thanks; sonny

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”