This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Check your hauler's axles

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Check your hauler's axles

Postby Song » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:13 pm

I was sitting down by the trailer and got up. I put my weight on the rear tire and noticed it moved. I jacked the thing up and found the below.

Check your haulers guys!

sgtbull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62854
Tractors Owned: '36 JD B,
'40 and '46 Farmall H,
'50 Ford 8n '55 Farmall Cub,
'55 JD 70 allfuel,
lots of other toys
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Check your hauler's axles

Postby sgtbull » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:23 pm

What did you find underneath? Busted shackles, loose "U" bolts? Or just plain worn out?
I've never met a tractor I didn't like....but I have found some that were greatly annoying....

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:25 pm

sgtbull wrote:What did you find underneath? Busted shackles, loose "U" bolts? Or just plain worn out?

Loose U's is all it was, luckily. You see the play the rears had. The front was not bad at all but I tightened them anyway.

That is an 82 model trailer and one could use a replacing. Might change all 4 just to do it.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:42 pm

In order to lower the trailer all possible, some will have the spring leaf/leaves under the axle. That places all the weight on the U-bolts. Inspect frequently. Obviously, if the u-Bolts fail, the trailer frame will fall onto the axle. So the axle should not completely separate from the trailer if the spring shackles hold. But directional control may be lost or impaired. Braking action on the trailer axles will be lost. Inspect frequently.
Luck favors those who are prepared

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:53 pm

had a Pop Up trailer the axle broke where it had been undercut when they welded the seat for the spring on to it. Only going 30 miles an hour at the time.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

It seems from frequenting another forum that lug nuts is a problem too steming from trailer wheels being stud centric on axles under 10K. They should be checked often.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”