This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carb Rebuild Kit for MH Pony

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Carb Rebuild Kit for MH Pony

Postby Dan England » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:58 pm

I am looking for a source from which to purchase a carb rebuild kit . The carb, which is on an MH Pony, is a Marvel-Schebler Model TSV-16. I will post a similar request on Yesterday's Tractors and hope that someone can provide the info. Thanks, Dan

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carb Rebuild Kit for MH Pony

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Valu-bilt lists a carb kit for the TSV16/TSV24. Their part number: A603101 $20.04

I would try my auto parts store(s) first. The auto parts store with knowledgable counter people - willing to look in a catalog.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Last edited by Bob McCarty on Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks, Eugene and Bob. Now another question for you. When rebuilding Cub carbs it is recommended that only genuine IH rebuild kits be used. There must be good and not so good kits for the Pony as well. Can you advise me as to which kits are fine and which to avoid? I have located some sources but need to know what product to purchase. Thanks, Dan

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:30 pm

Well, since you ask.

I seldom purchase a carb kit. Only if the bowl to top gasket is shot and can not be easily made from stock gasket material. I disassemble, soak, clean and then just replace the gaskets. Most are small round gaskets.

The needle valve to seat surfaces gets a lapping.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:54 am

The IH carburetor for the Cub was a single purpose unit, the aftermarket kit does not do it justice. Thankfully, IH still supports it with a great rebuild kit.

Marvel-Schebler seemingly made carburetors for every tractor manufacturer. Since M-S is no longer in business, there is no "premier" rebuild kit available. The aftermarket kits seem to be uniform in quality but some include more replacement components than others.

Hopefully a kit is available locally for you, no such luck here in Baltimore. I'd be as successful getting dilithium crystals for my warp drive as 50 year old tractor parts. If that is your problem as well, check with Steiners.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:11 am

The aftermarket Cub carb kits seem to have been exceptionally poor in quality, especially the gasket. I don't think all aftermarket kits are going to be as bad. Recently I needed a kit for a Zenith on an inferior brand of tractor. TSC's listings are so unclear I wasn't sure which if any fit. So I ordered one on-line from All States Ag Parts and got on fine with it. They list one for the TSV-16/TSV-24 on a Pony for $19. It is their item 100732 and my be identical to the one Valu-bilt sells.

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Dan England » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:33 am

Thanks, fellows. Knowing of problems with inferior Cub carb kits, I wanted to avoid that problem when rebuilding the carb for the Pony. I will order through NAPA, O'Reillys, etc. or wait to pick one up at TSC in Texarkana. Thanks again. Dan

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”