This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Skidsteers

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Skidsteers

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Fellow Cubbers,

I find myself in a position where I may not be able to function adequately in life without a skidsteer. :D :lol:

I know that several of you own and use such equipment. I would like to hear any and all comments on which brands you feel are best and what to consider and look for in finding and evaluating a suitable used one. Thanks.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Skidsteers

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:52 pm

I have two skidsteers, a Case 1816 and a Bobcat 610. Case and Bobcat parts are readily available. Also expensive. Both are a real pain to work on.

Suggestions:
1) Visit dealers in your area selling skidsteers. Obtain their pamphlets on their different skidsteers and attachments. Attachments and how the skidsteer is equiped is important.
2) Take some time and list everything you want your skidsteer to do - or would like to add as an attchment in the future.
3) Consider the terrain where you will be working the skidsteer. Bigger and wider = more stabile on slopes.
4) For general work - not in tight areas - figure out which size you need then buy the next size larger.

I intentionally didn't answer some of the initial questions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Don--I have a Case 1845C that I use to load the live deck on my firewood processor,as well as moving the sawdust, plowing snow, loading bark mulch etc. I bought it used last April for $11,000 from a guy that bought it new. Only research I did was to price similar machines on( I think)machinerytrader.com---they have an easy site that will let you see auction results as well as units for sale at dealers. I lucked out on mine as it's been well maintained and had low(1775)hours for a '95. Have had a few minor problems,but stumbled onto a good traveling mechanic with a lot of Bobcat experience. My machine has rubber tracks over the tires which,while fairly pricey, smooths it out a lot and gives it a lot of traction.
Depending on what uses you have in mind, a set of hyd. remotes is nice,as is a cab with a heater. While Case parts aren't cheap,they are available when needed---I don't know about some of the other brands.
Try to get a new enough machine that has the fairly universal quick-attach mount for the bucket,forks,etc.--it has two handles that you raise to uncouple the attachment, then push down to re-couple. Some Kubota tractors use the same system too, so you can find other things to hook onto.
Hope this helps a little-
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:02 pm

my BIL has a new holland ls 180 with rubber tracks. it does real good. it will move some big rocks. i like it, it has a pretty low center of gravity and a wide wheel base. we used to have a case 1845 and that thing would rock back and forth and just about give you whiplash. didn't have ad much power as the new holland and definately not as stable. that new holland is real heavy though.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:11 am

I am a former Bobcat field service mechanic.
The old Bobcat 610 used a direct drive system the is not too bad to repair. However they used Wisconsin engines that are.
The newer hydrostatic drives are very expensive to repair. This applys to all skid steers. Quick test; with the machine warmed up and running at half throttle, barely move the steering levers, if there is a loud howling, walk away. The hydrostatic drive is worn.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:17 am

Don, if you have never used one, rent one from a local tool rental place and use it some. Many people, especially if they have back problems cannot take the beating you get on one.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 am

Thanks for all the great comments and suggestions. Keep 'em coming. :D

John, your suggestion about renting may be my best course of action. Let the projects accumulate until it's cost effective to rent. Then I don't have to be concerned about the long term maintenance. :wink:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:13 am

One of the neighbors usually rents a big highlift for 3 or 4 weeks at a time. Rental charge was $30- per hour for 40 engine hours a week. Minimum charge is $1200- a week. Neighbor has to provide fuel, oil, operator and transportation. Actual operating expense is about $75- per hour.

Last year I had the operator cut a new road to the top of the ridge on son's acreage. My cost $200-. Had I brought in a seperate contractor, the road would have cost me $1000-. Several other neighbors also had work done.

I have several small projects lined up for this summer when neighbor rents the highlift again.

Something to think about.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:34 pm

I know that this an old thread, but Ive been off for some time and just trying to catch up a little, so please bear with me!

I have 2 New- Holland skid loaders,--an L-775 (wisconsin V-465-D motor),--and a L-778 (Ford tractor 172 diesel motor).---I like them because they are longer wheelbase and do not beat us ole foggies to death when using them.---now they might re-arrange the grass a lot more than the short ones but you can do all the final drive repair from the outside of the loader with the wheels removed. ( I like that feature)---These weigh 5,800 pounds with standard bucket and are rated at 2,050 pounds working load at a 10.5 foot max lift height, so there are a lot of possible uses for this size unit.---I have lifted way heavier loads with mine,--just dont lift high or go very far and you will be fine.
Dont know current price on them but they should be reasonable. thanks; sonny

jostev
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03574
eBay ID: farmallkid48
Skype Name: farmall_kid
Tractors Owned: 41 B
48 H
49 C
50 red demo Cub
51 C
52 Cub
54 Super C
61 and 63 Cub Cadet Originals
78 Cub Cadet 1450
73 154 lo-boy

Postby jostev » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:52 am

just thought I'd add a little something even though it is an older thread as sonny said... I used a small old bobcat, maybe a 553, can't remember at work alot, and it was nice, lifted high (enough) had enough power and was small, not big like some of the newer ones, had a heated cab and all, it was nice to drive, small enough to go inside the shop and put stuff in the bucket, turn around and drive back out, it wasn't one of those tiny machines, but smaller compared to new ones... then we rented a Komatsu from our cousin who has a big rental business, that lifted almost to the floor of our second story, had a bit of power (hydros were junk because of it being a rental...) but it was pretty big, and for me i wouldn't buy one that big just because it can't get into the tight spaces that I would want to get into with one, for the wide open spaces i would just use the C with a loader or something... it was a nice machine though, heat, enclosed cab 2 joystick control, no foot levers, but personally I would take a smaller one because the big jobs I have other bigger stuff for, I just dont' have much smaller stuff...

Johnny

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm

Johnny is correct!---bigger, NOT always better!---need to decide the major intended use for the unit and go for that size!---get the size that will give you the most use, and be the most practical for you!! thanks; sonny

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Don, I have owned many skid steers over the years. From bobcat to case. I had a case 1845 that gave me nothing but trouble. I ended up having to rebuild all the final drives and when I really worked it a rear axel broke. The only thing I can say about it was it would lift a lot of weight. I have run the newer bobcats but they are hard on the back. I also run a ASV skidsteer and I loved it . It had joystick controles/ finger tip. and had a nice suspension. It was very versitile and had just about any attachment you could want avalible but the price was out of this world also. I also had and have a IH 3200 skidsteer. I use to use on in the mill to clean rail road tracks and sand from under the benches that slung sand into molds. This machine was very durable. It also has a floating suspension that makes it easy on theback and stops most of the bouncing. The one I have today is a IH 3200 and is tuff machine. The only week point s that is had toothed belt drive. They last a long time but are a bear to change. It all depends on how much money you want to spend. If it were me I would want a rubber tracked machine. I think the newer ASV is the altimate machine. You can have a loader on one end and a backhoe or any other attachment on the other , or the loader on the other end also. It has a 3 point hitch avalibele and a 6 way dozer blade. If you just want to use one around the farm then I would suspect that you donet want to spend in excess of 50 K. You can get a nice used bobcat for around 10 to 12 K or just about any used brand for the same or a little more. If you buy used be carefull. if it looks beat it is beat. check for welds, noises in the engine. excessive hydra drive noise.. leaks and damages hyd cylinders. Bobcats are know for the booms cracking.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”