This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Free 1939 M

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Free 1939 M

Postby Paul_NJ » Sat May 01, 2004 10:29 pm

Help -

I've always found opportunities appear when you least expect. Today, while picking up bales of hay from a farmer with as horse stable to seed a new lawn, I noticed an old Farmall sitting in the farmer's yard. To my casual comment of "now there's a real project . . ", he responded: "I'll give it to you for nothing if you want it. In fact, I'll deliver it to you if you'll take it".!!

Now here's the rest of the story. It's a 1939 Farmall M. The engine hood, radiator, and cylinder head been removed, are sitting along side on the ground, and appears to have been sitting outside like that for "some time". Rear tires look good, one front tire is missing. But again - the top of the motor has been open to the weather for an indefinite time (years?). I got the impression the head was removed because it was bad. The owner said all of the major parts are there.

I'm half way through a Cub rehab and while it's taking forever due to never enough time, this thing seems like much more than I could envision tackling. Even for free. Is there even hope of freeing up an engine like that? I can't believe I'm even thinking about this.

I'd appreciate any opinions. Also, is anyone else interested?
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BOB K.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BOB K. » Sat May 01, 2004 11:18 pm

I might be interested if you have some photos. :D

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat May 01, 2004 11:21 pm

Hey Paul. Boy, does that sound tempting.......
Ron

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Reality Check

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun May 02, 2004 7:50 am

I'll get some pictures of this thing and post them. I'm sure it's not going anywhere right now. I'd appreciate input from anyone who has done a restoration of this magnitude, in terms of what is likely involved to getting a motor that has been open like that back to life (ie is there even hope?). Also, any thoughts about a 1939 M would be appreciated, such as availability of parts, etc. Guess what I'm really asking for here is a "reality check" . . . .

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun May 02, 2004 9:13 am

The M should have a sleeved motor. So even if the cylinder walls are rusty, it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway, free is good! :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon May 03, 2004 7:39 pm

A complete engine kit will include pistons, sleeves, rings, bearings, and gaskets. I'd recomend having the block and head checked for cracks. Parts should be availlable at a salvage yard, and a lot of parts still over the dealer counter and after-market.
The price is right,, go for it!! :D
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

FarmerFred888
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby FarmerFred888 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:50 am

I know I'm a little late, but from experiences w/ pistons frozen and rusted into the sleeves, if you can put the head back on good or not and pour diesel into the cylinders and let it sit, this freed up my 2 F-12s and My F-20 that there previous owners deemed un salvagable, i poured it in there let it set for a couple months in a covered barn and hand cranked 2 free the other required the use of a block of wood and a hammer but it came free very quickly, just make sure when you put the fuel in through the spark plug holes that you fill it up all the way until it flows out, and make sure you put the plugs back in, and don't forget when you try to free it up take the plugs out, it turns easier that way :)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 am

I would guess that Paul passed up on that freebie or we would have heered more about it unless I missed the results in a different thread.
Then came Bronson

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:07 pm

Yeah, you're right. I passed on it. It was just too overwhelming of a job for me to even think of undertaking. But it's still there. Just waiting for somebody to take it home. I still run through the thought process every time I take my daughter over to that farm for her riding lesson. Maybe next time I take a picture of it and post it.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Carm » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:36 pm

if i only lived closer hmmmmmm

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”