This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Loose throttle

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Poncho
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55906
Circle of Safety: Y

Loose throttle

Postby Poncho » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:44 pm

On my wheelhorse lawn tractor, the throttle never stays wide open, either I hold it with my knee or wedge it. Anybody have a great solution or series of washers that I can modify this so it will stay where I put it. The kids are getting bigger and they would mow easier with it working properly! Thanks all.
1950 Demonstrator Cub
Woods 59 Mower
Cub 54A Blade
Cub 22 Sickle Mower
Model 100 McCormick spreader

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Re: Loose throttle

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:33 pm

Don't know what style that throttle control is so it's hard to give practical suggestions to repair it. I suggest Vise-Grips, the mechanical Duct Tape.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:56 pm

Poncho - is it the standard throttle cable style throttle with the throttle lever attached to a wire sheathed by a spiral wound cover? If there is no adjustable friction disk (there never is) then I'd take a hammer and punch and tighten the rivet that the throttle lever pivots on.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Sometimes you can kink the spiral sheath a little to provide extra drag.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:43 pm

Maybe the engine is trying to tell you it doesnt want or need to run "wide Open". Sometimes the vibration from a over revving engine will just back the throttle off by itself. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:08 am

I don't know the age of his wheel Horse, but for the last 15 or 20 years, manufacturers have recommended air cooled engine be run at full throttle when working. Of course, that is assuming the governor is limiting speed at the correct rpm. The throttle on my old White incorporated a spring friction washer as part of the lever assembly, but it was not replaceable, the only way to get it was to buy the lever.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Poncho
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 55906

Postby Poncho » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:54 am

The cable is the typical in the sleeve cable. The throttle switch is the kind with a rivet in so you can slide it up and down like on a push mower. The tractor is about 13 years old. The last 5-6 years it has been loosening. where it won't stay where I put it 9 3/4 OPEN ETC). I was thinking about removing the rivet that holds it in place and putting a bolt through with rubber gaskets of some sort so I could tighten it and then it would hold its position where I place it, 1/2 open, 3/4 open, wide open. Currently I mow with it wide open and adjust my speed of the tractor with the transmission(hydro static drive). I think the throttle cable is of poor design. Within a few minutes it idles down to an idle. I hope this helps. The tractor is great, but with kids wanting to mow it would be nice if the throttle stayed where it was put. Thanks again.
1950 Demonstrator Cub
Woods 59 Mower
Cub 54A Blade
Cub 22 Sickle Mower
Model 100 McCormick spreader

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:08 am

If you try the bolt and washer method, I'd use fiber washers as opposed to rubber. Also use a Nylock nut on the bolt to keep it from backing off.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”