This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hobart 140 Mig Welder

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

Hobart 140 Mig Welder

Postby oronc » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:25 pm

Bought this welder awile back from Northern Tool, Been having trouble with the wire feed just spinning,not feeding. When I bought this puppy it came with a spool of .035 FLUX wire, which requires a knurl drive spool,It is shipped and sold with a smooth drive spool for solid wire for gas not flux wire. so if you all are using the flux wire like me you will need Part #202926 for your welder. About $17.00.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:28 am

I use the cheap wire from Harbor Frieght with gas in mine. No problem so far. I like the clean welds.
Best,
Mike

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:13 pm

I would change it over to gas and use a mix its called stargon. The go with normal wire. You'll get less welding splatter and a better looking weld using stargon. You'll get burnt less too, less sparks.

They also make a clip on wire cleaner, it goes right infront of the wire feeder on the in side were the wire goes in. It keeps the dirt out of your liner and keeps the feeder wheels clean too. There cheap and work great. Keep your wire clean too from all dirt. Keep the cover closed at all times. If there's no covere and the wire is in the open i cover it with leather(welding jacket) to keep it clean. Don't grind near it too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

D.Nickerson
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Hobart 140 Mig Welder

Postby D.Nickerson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 am

oronc wrote:Bought this welder awile back from Northern Tool, Been having trouble with the wire feed just spinning,not feeding. When I bought this puppy it came with a spool of .035 FLUX wire, which requires a knurl drive spool,It is shipped and sold with a smooth drive spool for solid wire for gas not flux wire. so if you all are using the flux wire like me you will need Part #202926 for your welder. About $17.00.

Oronc, On the top of your drive rolls should be a wing nut, or some kind of adjustment. You can adjust the tension on it to prevent slipping, or to prevent "birds nesting" The ideal tension should be that you can stahl it out before it bird nests.

To do this UNHOOK THE GROUND CLAMP and hold the stinger about 3-4 inches away from the steel at a 90 degree angle. Pull the trigger and let it hit the material. It should bend the wire slightly and push your hand back a little before it stahls.

Also about the knurled drive wheel. I've been welding for over 20 years(my profession, not hobby) and have had no problem with smooth rolls for flux core. Many people will not agree, but as I say, "to each his own".

Hope this helps :D
Doug Nickerson,
Hatfield Pa.

'29 Regular..... '37 F-12..... '42 H.....'50 MD.... '51 Cub.....I-4 Schramm..... '36 JD A..... '40 JD A..... '85 JD 1050..... '48 Oliver Row Crop 60..... '49 Oliver Row Crop 77

oronc
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24153
Tractors Owned: 1950 Allis Chalmers B, 1942 Farmall H,Kubota B2150hst
48 Cubplow,cultiv,carry all,blade.other stuff
and other junk

Postby oronc » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Thanks guy, Did recieve the knurl drive roller, tried what you said crank her down past 4,help some then change the roller ,A world of differance not set just before 2 by setting the way you said. Thanks for the tip. works great now.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”