This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Trailer re-fab?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Trailer re-fab?

Postby Into Tractors » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:08 am

Looks like I need to replace the axles on my trailer. Loaned it out to a friend, and it came back missing one wheel/tire. Apparently he hit something (luckily it was empty att the time) and it tore off one of the hub assemblies. I think the axles are 6000lb rating Dexters. A few years a go I had problems finding parts to repair the brakes on one, so I'm thinking of just replacing both axles all together for something a little more modern. The current axles use the "Bud style wheels" where the rim is actually clamped on to the rim, not the lug style that are more common now.

Anyone done this or have any suggestions? I've looked at Northern tool and they have axles with electric brakes on them already, and they use the lug style hubs.
Mike Duncan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:09 pm

If you have th Dexter axle with the 4 lug wheels with the odd bolt pattern the wheels are getting hard to come by. Good time to upgrade. The axles you speak of with the Budd wheels (14.5 tires) are most commonly found under mobile homes. The ones I ve run across are n8000# cap. with 2 single leaf variable rate 4000#springs. Good setup. Usually there about 88in. between the tires. They have K.H. electric brakes and you can buy them up in this neck of the woods for $125-$175 each including wheels and tires. One cautionary note -if the tires say "mobile home" anywhere on them they are poor quality. There desighned to make one trip from the factory to the final destination. Frank
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:41 pm

I have in my possesion 4 axles like you mention. They are dexter 6000lb. with tires and 14.5" wheels and the tires do not say MH on them. Been thinking over locating a new home for them.

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:50 pm

The Northern Tool axles, if 5 lug will also accept the rims you find on the Ford Bronco and Ranger pickups, they are commonly used for tralier rims. You can find them at salvage/junk yards almost anywhere. Just be sure to put a tire with the proper load rating on the rim.
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:59 pm

Redneck trailers. Search the web. I purchased an entire axle from them. Wasn't terribly expensive.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:26 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I haven't had time to tear into it yet. Pretty sure the axles are Dexters, thought they were 6K, but they could be 8K capacity. Only reason I remember them to be Dexters is that when I worked on the brakes years ago, I had a real hard time finding parts, and the local trailer dealer warned me that those axles were old and hard to find parts for the brakes. They are "Budd" wheels, but I can't remember if they are 4 or 5 bolt. The tires are 14.5, and not the mobile home tires, but I'm willing to bet the axles are from moving a mobile home as the trailer is home built. Hoping I can just replace the axles with something comparable, as the trailer is built really well. It was 2" oak flooring, with manual winch fabirated to the front of the trailer.
Mike Duncan

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:47 am

Here is the Dexter axle website if you need it.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:24 am

Mike;
The last time I needed a set of trailer axles, I checked around some & ended up buying a set of Henchen axles, made in Jackson Center. They made them to my specs. & I took a short drive & picked them up at the factory. The price was about the same for Dexter, but Henchen won out through convenience. Jackson Center wouldn't be too inconvenient for you either. I was really quite surprised at how reasonable the price was. BTW, Henchen makes the axles used under Airstream trailers. I hope I spelled Henchen correctly!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”