This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Prehistoric ??? I'm Curious About These !

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
magnumpi
10+ Years
10+ Years

Prehistoric ??? I'm Curious About These !

Postby magnumpi » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:07 am

Every so often, I run across an ad for these tractors, and it's "look" arouses my curiosity. I'd think it's appearance is so unusual that it would have been a hard sell - especially in 1949 !! I know the gurus on this site can enlighten me about this unique piece of tractor history. TIA, Craig

Allis_Chalmers Model G Farm Tractor
For Sale: For Sale
Located In: Lexington N.C. USA
Reply To: Frank 336-956-1729
For Sale: 1949 Model G running and approx. 90 % restored. Has hydraulic lift -(needs new seals). Also Mott hammer-knife or flail mower for a Model G. Mower can also be restored. Have mounting brackets and drive pulleys. Includes original owners manual for tractor and parts list for mower. Best offer over $ 2,500 cash only. Will not sell separately. Buyer must pickup.

I know another tractor manufacturer employed Raymond Loewy to spice up their design after his splash with Studebaker, but did some like Loewy or Howard Hughes or ?? have an influence on this unusual design ??

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:34 am

I don't know anything about who influenced their design, etc., but those are very popular little tractors both for use and collectors. The most common item to see on them is a cultivator. I have wanted one for several years, but have given up on that idea. The listed price is about right.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:38 am

Some place in my reference material - I believe IH and Allis had a legal contest over the design of the tractor. Guy Fay says that the Allis G closely resembles the IH Motor Cultivator. IH Motor Cultivator (1916 - 1918).

Hard sell. Not really the G was popular with truck/garden farmers. Actually, there are tractors currently or in the recent past manufactured along the same features.

Eugene
I have an excuse. CRS.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:49 am

For more serious work an Allis G may need a power upgrade. No, Rick Prentice didn't do this. 8)

Note the rear mounted radiator.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:06 am

A good nursery or vegetable tractor. From what I have seen, prices tend to run about the same or a little above Cub prices. It is harder to get parts for the Continental engine than for a Cub engine. The YT page on them seems to be fairly accurate:
http://www.ytmag.com/profiles/acgprof.htm

pete1941
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pete1941 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:54 pm

Magnumpi, the G-Allis Chalmers was just about as popular as the Cub in our part of the country and there are still a lot around today. Just like Cubs, some restored, some not. It, like the Cub, was meant to be a planting and cultivating tractor and was good at both. Like the Cub, while cultivating you had good vision of what the plows were doing. The operator sat a little lower to the ground on the G than they did on the Cub. I've heard it said by my older relatives that when cultivating with a G you could actually reach down to the ground and uncover something that the plows had covered up. They were great little tractors, but still weren't a Cub!

junkman1946
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby junkman1946 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:02 pm

Their must still be quite a few around. Somebody in Antique Power Mag is hawking a diesel conversion for the G.
1948 Cub F,1962 Original,1971 C.C.model86, WheelHorse and C.C. mini pulling tractors, C.C. models1450 , 682,106,123, Ariens GT17 with loader,Jacobsen Powermax loader and backhoe 8 more Cub Cadets in the shed waiting to go under the knife and spray gun.

Highlanderjim
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Highlanderjim » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:39 pm

That thing's cool. I've seen a few similar at tractor shows. Does anyone know if a grader is available for it?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:04 pm

There was a full range of implements available for them including a grader blade, cultivators, mowers, front end loader etc.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:08 pm

Bigdog wrote:There was a full range of implements available for them including a grader blade, cultivators, mowers, front end loader etc.

and even (2) that is two, had factory installed side dump boxes.
for use in the factory. I know where one is 8) However the other escaped the factory as well to unknown hands, and in unknown condition.....

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:48 pm

Those tractors are very popular with the new organic farms that are sprouting up all over. I think they have an edge over the Cub for precision cutivating work. Seen a program on TV where a midwest farm was buying up a bunch and having them fixed up to use everyday on the farm. Great little tractor that has held its value better than the Cub overall.

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby Kodiak » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:57 pm

There are even mini's
This one belongs to and was made by a friend of Mr. GW's that lives down near me.
http://photos.cubfest.com/displayimage.php?pos=-3540
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:59 am

I can't wait to tell Herb his picture showed up on a red tractor page!

George, I had forgotten about the Super G! Was it Findlay that it popped up? Pretty wild, the builder did a neat job!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:41 am

Gary Dotson wrote:I can't wait to tell Herb his picture showed up on a red tractor page!

George, I had forgotten about the Super G! Was it Findlay that it popped up? Pretty wild, the builder did a neat job!

Gary,

I saw it at SCRAP. The builder has a number of modified Allis-Chalmers, including a mini IB that would knock Larry's eyes out.

As mentioned by Kodiak, Herb is my friend, but also the friend of the Dotson's and Bigdog.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:07 am

I thought I'd move this post into this forum since it is providing interesting information that should not roll off the page after 21 days.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”