This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1918 Fordson F

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
k. hansen'49cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

1918 Fordson F

Postby k. hansen'49cub » Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:51 pm

Here we go again, Another old tractor ,If I can set it up I'm probably coming home with a very complete 1918 Fordson tractor ,it's been parked for 30+ years so I'm assuming the engine is locked up ,my question is do I have to worry about getting it to roll to get it on a trailer? My '39 John Deere has a hand clutch that has to be engaged in order for it to move,so it can roll in any gear like it's in neutral as long as the clutch lever is'nt engaged ,I'm wondering if the Fordson would operate like that ,or like a later 8n?
Thank's
Keith

'39JD B
'49 cub
'52 8n
'53 Golden Jubilee
And a whole bunch of Cub Cadets.....

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:07 pm

From my limited experience, it is very difficult to move a Fordson. The final drive is a worm drive, that is a virtual parking brake. I think you can pull the worm gear by taking the drawbar off, but don't know what damage that might do.

Somebody that knows more about Fordsons can either confirm or refute, maybe give some suggestions on moving it.

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:26 pm

Jim's right, the rear drive of the Fordson is a worm gear. Gonna need a winch or a come-a-long to get that beast to move. There is another idea, but if the engine is seized, it won't work either. You could put the tractor in gear and turn the engine crank, but you'll wear yourself out as the Fordson F is really heavy and from what I can remember of my 1924, the gear ratio was so low that you'll be there for days cranking. So, back to the winch or come-a-long idea.
Mike Duncan

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:33 pm

Do you have access to an electric boat winch?
I hooked up my boat trailer winch on the front of my trailer when I pick up My 2N and it worked beautiful
Then all I had to do was push her off and put the winch away until next boating season (next spring)
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:21 pm

I have never had any direct dealings with them, but I remember Dad talking about moving them but taking off a plate on the rear and unscrewing the worm gear I think/ It has been many years and I could be wrong. If so, it is the first time this afternoon. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 pm

I can't speak with authority on this, but I've been under the impression that only the later Fordsons built in Ireland had worm drive, and the domestic ones had a regular pinion.

Can anyone confirm or refute this impression? If it's true it would make moving easier.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

k. hansen'49cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby k. hansen'49cub » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 pm

O.K. Thank's for the info, I was informed that the guy will use his oliver crawler to pull the tractor out to my trailer ,I'm just hoping that the wheels turn and it's not going to be dragged ,other than photo's I am suprised how little information is on the net ,I have no idea what to expect on the layout for the transmission ,and the clutch ,overall though it appears to be in good shape ,and very complete ,Thank's again for your time.
Keith

'39JD B

'49 cub

'52 8n

'53 Golden Jubilee

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:22 am

Keith jack it up, put it on planks and pull the planks. It would be like an old fashioned stone boat. You don't think the old timers picked up and carried all those stones you see in New England stone walls, do you

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:45 pm

Keith, have you tried the ford forum on ytmag.com?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

IH48
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43522

Postby IH48 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:50 pm

We had 27 or 28 Fordson made in U.S. . It was worm gear, had to it run to move it.
Buying cheap tools to save money , is like setting the clock back to save TIME.

TOOLMAN
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 90210

Postby TOOLMAN » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Keith try this ford group lots of helpful people here
http://www.ntractorclub.com/
3969 Members

1954 Cub quick hitch /Plow
1947 Ford 2N
1948 Green Machine Model M (i know)
Knowledge Is Power
and Power is Knowledge
"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten."

k. hansen'49cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby k. hansen'49cub » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Thank You for the replies, The owner said he would pull it out from behind the barn with his crawler ,hopefully it won't have any damage ,if it's a worm drive I have the feeling he's going to drag it .I just hope it does'nt damage it internally...
Keith

'39JD B

'49 cub

'52 8n

'53 Golden Jubilee

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:13 pm

I am JEALOUS, I want a Fordson so bad. WHY? I have no clue other than I want one and I have absolutly no use for one either but the engine reminds me of an overgrown Model T Ford engine.

I missed the boat last year when a complete 1918 was sitting in a used car lot across the river from me in Missouri. It was on steel, but had a full set of wheels on rubber. It sat there for months and I finially decided to stop in as inquire about it and he said that someone bought it and paid for it several month prior to, but never picked it up. Then I just had to ask the question....How much did you get out of it? he's reply was, "350 bucks" I was so mad at myself for not asking sooner, but I just figured they would have wanted a fortune, was I ever so wrong. Oh well I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I have driven a Fordson a couple of times, but I really don't remember the fundementals. BUT if you can't get it loaded, let me know and I will come and take it off your hands. :D

Post some pictures once you get it home.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:43 pm

Keith, had been hoping you'd be posting a msg that you got the Fordson F safely home :?:

How'd ya make out :?:
Mike Duncan

k. hansen'49cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby k. hansen'49cub » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:33 pm

Nothing yet Gent's,
I'm trying to put thing's together for the move (without damage) The contact guy is getting real pushy ,I can't get the number to the person who own's it ,The contact person threatened me with the old "someone else is interested for the same price" The way I look at it he is'nt going to get it to move any easier than I am if it's locked up .weird situation with a middle man ,I never had this problem with my other tractors ,if it all work's out for this weekend I'll be sure to post some photo's.
Thank's for all the replies ,you guy's are always there with the help. and I don't mind being called lurker Keith :lol:
Keith

'39JD B

'49 cub

'52 8n

'53 Golden Jubilee

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”