This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Timing Light Light Bulb.

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Timing Light Light Bulb.

Postby Eugene » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:40 pm

I need a new Xenon flash tube for my 40 year old timing light. I have checked with NAPA and Radio Shack, both local. Any suggestions.

Eugene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Eugene:

This is not gonna make anybody happy:

Xenon Flash Tubes.... :roll: :shock: :arrow: :roll:

or

Lamps: Flash Tube (Flashlamps & Flashtubes)

These are just two of the Google results from the search for Xenon Flash Tubes - Results 1 - 10 of about 309,000 for Xenon flash tube. (0.17 seconds).
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:23 am

Rudi:

Thanks. I searched the web for over 30 minutes with no luck. Researched timing lights. Most, or at least a few advertise replaceable lamps. The bulb in mine is easily replaced.

I tried NAPA on Saturday afternoon. The counter men?? (local trade school students) were of no help. The old guys were off. I will try again Monday.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:07 pm

Eugene:

All I did was use the search string you provided... Xenon flash tube , and vioila.. there it was...

The counter men?? (local trade school students) were of no help.

Unfortunately, that is becoming the norm... and the reason is simply because:

1. The companies do not want to spend resources to train people adequately, that they cannot retain.

2. The young counter people care not a whit about what it is you want, nor how to find it. They make minimum wage or what they feel is less than their personal value, and they are loathe to expend the energy to

a. Learn the Job which means understanding Parts and the Parts Look-up system
b. Like to help people find the stuff they need even if it means expending a little time, energy and thought
c. Understand that customers pay their wages....
c. Provide the Service customers expect.. not hope for..

They move on to the next best paying job as soon as they can find it, and never ever learn that to truly excell and be happy with what you do, you first must have pride in who you are and what you do....

3. However, if somebody managed to convert a Parts Look-up and Inventory system into an On-Line Action Game.. I am sure you would have thousands vying for those very jobs that they are loathe to take... :roll: :roll: :wink: :lol:

I am off the Image now... :shock: :? :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:40 pm

Rudi:

Sorry. I was not very clear when I wrote I did not have any luck. I did find Xenon flash tubes and spent over 1/2 hour looking for the exact one I need for the timing light.

I have been unable to identify the Xenon flash tube that I need. The flash tube that I need has one end that looks like the end of a cartridge automotive fuse and the other end is a metal cone shaped point. And, there is no identifying numbers on the flash tube.

I'll try the local autoparts store tomorrow. If that doesn't work there is a large industrial/automotive supply in Jefferson City.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:05 pm

Eugene:

I am sorry.. :shock: :? :( I guess that my attempt at sideways humour failed...... :roll: :roll: Some days I can be funny and others.. more like a pickle I guess :? :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

do you got a pic of the tube? we have a few old and I mean old tool repair shops around that handle esoteric stuff like that. I even know a guy who has around 10 or 15,000 different types of vacuum tubes, strobe type tubes etc., hanging around in his basement.. it is a fetish of his I think :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Rudi:

I thought you were giving me a hard time about not being able to find Xenon with a google search. When I did the search for the flash tube one of the manufacturers stated that they manufactured 1/2 million different configurations. They even had mechanical drawings and photos. None matched the required flash tube.

I'll continue the search locally. There are three excellent automotive - industrial supply facilities in Jefferson City.

Eugene

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:06 am

Eugene:

Again I apologize... sometimes my almost "english" mixed with my almost 'yiddish" dry humour doesn't exactly get pulled off. Probably cause I am neither English nor Yiddish.... I suppose :roll: :arrow: :shock: :wink: :D

What I was trying to say, is that you provided me with the search string, without it, I would have been searching fruitlessly. It was how it was put that the string paid off... I tried it with timing light tube and other modifications and got useless info.. the lead I gave you came up as the first hit on your search string. I was trying to give a compliment in a humourous way..

Suggestion.. and I know you probably already have tried this,, but just in case.

Somewhere on that timing light is a number.. has to be.. even if it is just molded into the casing.. with luck there are remnants of a part number.. even half might be enough to figure out the model or something. or even part of the model name or manufacturer..

With that many configurations.. it may be difficult. You will have to take the tube with you on your search I imagine...

I wish you luck.. let us know if you can find it.. :!: 8) :D

I have made it a rule in my life that I never give my friends a hard time about anything - period... ! :D :D , especially over something such as a timing light.

Even now, after 15 years of fighting with Veterans Affairs, I realize that it isn't the individuals that are responsible but the system, so when I get cranky -- I feel like absolute crap if I give em a hard time, so I usually apologize in ADVANCE.. just for insurance sake... but I have finally learned in my old age, that my loving, beautiful and INTELLIGENT spouse was right.. you get more bees with honey than you do with vinegar....

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:25 am

Rudi:

The timing light still has a lable providing the manufacturer's name, address, model number and another number. I have had no luck googling the lable information.

No need to apologize. I wasn't offended.

Eugene

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:28 am

Eugene,

Why don't you show a pic of the light and bulb? I have several timing lights around, and I bet many others do, as well. If you don't want to replace the light, and I can understand that rationale, one of us may have the part you need.

Larry

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:34 pm

Dwell/Tach died so I purchased a new tac/dwell meter and timing light.

The parts list for the new timing light indicates that if the bulb fails you have to purchase the PC board with bulb - or just purchase another timing light.

Eugene

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”