This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

8n brakes

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48463
Tractors Owned: 1956 FAST HITCH CUB
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

8n brakes

Postby Clem » Tue May 16, 2006 9:50 am

Can someone give me step by step directions on brake replacment and spring adjustment on 8n fords??

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu May 18, 2006 12:08 pm

Clem,

I should be able to help you, but I will not be able to get the info until Friday evening.

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Thu May 18, 2006 12:17 pm

sweet! thanks.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu May 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Clem,

I got home quicker than I thought. This is an 8N. 9N / 2N are a little different. Hope this helps.

313. BRAKES.
When the brakes can no longer be adjusted to satisfactorily stop the tractor or assist in turning, the brake linings and shoes should be replaced.
a. Removal. Jack up the rear end of the tractor, and remove the rear wheels. Remove the four screws from the brake drum, and slide the drum off the shaft (fig. 28 ).On the left brake, remove the two retracting springs. On the right brake, remove the one retracting spring. Remove the brake shoes (fig. 29). If one brake shoe is replaced, it is advisable to also replace the other three shoes to assure equalized braking action. Inspect the brake backing plate felt, and replace it if needed. Inspect the anchor pin, if worn, replace brake support plate.

b. Installation. Place the shoes in the brake support plate, and attach the retracting spring (fig. 30). The left brake has two retracting springs, and the right brake uses one retracting spring. Adjust the brakes so they are completely, retracted, and install, the brake drum. Mount the rear wheel.

c. Adjustment. Jack the tractor up until both rear wheels are free of the ground. Remove the brake adjustment cover, and turn the adjustment (fig. 31) until the brake drags with the pedal in the released position. Back off the adjustment until the wheel turns with a very slight brake drag. Shorten or lengthen the left brake tie rod, by using the clevis, until both brake pedals are in line with both brakes engaged. During the first hour of operation, after, the brakes have been adjusted; feel of the drums occasionally to be sure that they are remaining cool. If the drums are hot, readjust as outlined above.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/e00bce12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/Jackf/Project2.jpg

Clem
10+ Years
10+ Years
MODEL 10 CUB TRAILER
2 1950 Demonstrators

Postby Clem » Fri May 19, 2006 6:06 am

Thanks a million! I think I can follow these steps easily.

Clem

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”