This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Coming to pieces

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Coming to pieces

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:57 pm

Thought that I would bring you up to date on the Lanz 5506 story.
Finally got the whole tractor on it's new boots into the tractor shed and got the cylinder and head off in one piece exposing the piston, big end and crankshaft.
Off came the two bigend nuts and so the piston was out. Really I just thought for a checkup, but of course while one is there......
I turned the crank and of course it was not a nice smooth turn it was grind grind, yes the main bearings (taper roller) are very bad so out with the pullers, heaters take all the bits off the crank, eccentric, spacer etc etc, and finally out came the crank
Looks as if the crankcase has been about 1/4 full of water at some time, there is a tidemark on the crank disk, and the bearing races are very pitted the rollers the same.
Is it possible to have a minus amount in a wallet (billfold)? I have a feeling that I have!
Took the whole shebang to an 'expert' and he feels that I should be able to scrape the bigend into shape,
turn a new bronze little end bearing and replace the rings.
You will see the rings in the first pic with a $ note inside two of them so you can see the size.
The main bearings are some 5" across and the oil seals are similar in size, everything is so big and heavy. The crank alone with nothing attached is just enough for me to lift from the ground and carry, just!
And to end, the head of the piston with the obligatory size comparison $
Whilst I wait for bits, I am cleaning, and painting the miriade number of small pieces.
Pat
PS a few more photos on the site below.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Hey Pat,
That's one big piston :!: Looks to me you better get more dollars out :lol: :lol:
8)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:53 pm

Donny M wrote:Hey Pat,
That's one big piston :!: Looks to me you better get more dollars out :lol: :lol:
8)

//////////////

:twisted: Donny, I think Pat could use a ten~dollar bill and it would be about the right size. Eh!! :twisted:
Then came Bronson

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Postby allenlook » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:04 pm

Wow, that's a big piston! Is that the only one it's got :D :?:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:32 pm

By big end I assume you mean what I would call connecting rod journal and cap. by little end wrist pin end. Wrist pin is the round pin between piston and connecting rod. Connecting rod = crank rod.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:24 am

allenlook wrote:Wow, that's a big piston! Is that the only one it's got :D :?:

Certainly is, 2800cc in one plonker!
Pat

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:25 am

beaconlight wrote:By big end I assume you mean what I would call connecting rod journal and cap. by little end wrist pin end. Wrist pin is the round pin between piston and connecting rod. Connecting rod = crank rod.

Bill

Exactly right, we speak the same language but.....
Pat :lol: :lol:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:12 am

Thanks Pat. My forbearers were from your side the pond so throught the years I have heard many variations of the Kings English.

bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”