This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

stationary engine belt pulley clutch?

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

stationary engine belt pulley clutch?

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:15 pm

I just joined a committee that maintains a historic farm. The next project is to make the old grainary functional. It had a stationary engine which powered overhead wood pulleys that ran the grinder and a belt lift that had 5" grain cups on it. My question is: can someone tell me about the mechanism that would have engaged/disengaged the engine from the overhead pulleys if you needed to stop or change something? Also, does anyone have a source for canvas style wide pulley belts ( 6-10")? Spent two hours shoveling out 50+ years of accumulated pigeon poop. Some of the skeletons were probably of carrier pigeons!

Thanks, Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:05 am

It's hard without pictures or knowing what type of engine. Is it a multi-cylinder or hit-and miss?
It could use a belt tensioning clutch, or one on the engine.
Best,
Mike

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:42 am

Hi Bob

Sounds like a awesome project. I would love to see pictures if possible :?: I do not know if you have a account to post them but if you get some I can post them.

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:53 am

One method was to have two pulleys side by side. One was fastened to the shaft and the other was free wheeling. The belt was shifted from one set of pulleys to the others with a stick. I doubt OSHA would approve. :(
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:21 pm

Mike, We don't presently have an engine, but will probably try to locate one, if for appearances only. I got the name of a local man who worked in Longmont's mill from 1930-1960, so I'm hoping he can give me some help too.

Bob

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”