This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Planet Jr 300 A Planter

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k0e1k0

Planet Jr 300 A Planter

Postby brianJ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:33 am

Hi All I just bought a Planet Jr 300A veggie planter from eBAY and then researched it after purchase. I read somewhere these planters are not the best to plant corn or pumpkins/ squash which is why I bought the thing in the first place. I read that this is because the Planet Jr will not space the seeds far enough apart in the case of corn or squash. Anyone have experience with this? Can I plant corn and squash and thin the rows after they sprout or is that a waste of time and seed?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:55 am

I have planted sweet corn to close at times. Being a little careless while cultivating and plenty of super nitrate made a good crop.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:39 pm

I have not personaly had experience with the Planet Jr. but have solved that problem in other planters by plugging some of the seed plate holes, per example, every other one, or plug 2, leave 3rd one open, etc.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

brianJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: k0e1k0

Postby brianJ » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:51 pm

I gonna try to adapt it my Cub. I was hoping it would plant larger seed.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:12 am

Even with only 1 cell open it may not plant squash and pumpkin far enough apart. When I truck gardened we planted pumpkin with the transplanter. We would fold two or three seeds in toilet paper envelopes and stapled them. They could then be fed into the transplanter.
This works good for large plots. If I were planting less than an acre I would lay off rows and plant them by hand with a bugle.
Best,
Mike

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”