This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Let's Talk Cole Planters

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
workinonit
Zip Code: 29591

Let's Talk Cole Planters

Postby workinonit » Wed May 17, 2023 1:58 pm

Over the last couple of years I've been picking up one row fast hitch planters or at least all of them but one and that one will be easy to convert. I have 2 IH and 3 Cole. 2 of the Cole are duplex but very different. The better one and what looks to be newer one has 1200 on the hopper. It's a solid planter that uses the larger plates. It is a counter rotation planter. It also appears to not use the seed barriers or at least it doesn't have them. The other duplex is in decent shape but not as good. The plates for it are quite a bit smaller and it uses the seed barriers. I have several sets of plates for this one. It is also a counter rotation planter. So by counter rotation, if you stand at the back and turn the wheel the left plate turns CW and the right plate turns CCW. I understand there are models of this planter that both boxes turn the same way. The ladder one is the one that I am going to use since I have plates. I'm waiting on some rain and I'm going to try it out. The single hopper I have uses the same plates as the 1200 which I don't have. It's in fair condition. The IH planters are piecemeal at best.
I called Southern Equipment Company in Union Grove, NC this morning about buying a Cole 12MX planter. He will have 24 of them in July. I'm thinking I will buy one. My plan is to get a solid planter, probably a new one and keep one of these for a backup.
So, this is the extent of my knowledge of Cole planters. I'm curious what I'm missing about these planters other than plates for them.

customcutter
Cub Star
Cub Star
Zip Code: 33596
Tractors Owned: Super A Industrial
Farmall 100

Re: Let's Talk Cole Planters

Postby customcutter » Wed May 17, 2023 7:31 pm

I used an old mule drawn Cole Duplex planter to plant the corn with a couple of months ago. I temporarily rigged it up at the back of my 92 year old FIL's Super AV. It was crude at best, but did work to plant 12 400' rows of corn. LOL

I got the "red fever" and bought a Super A and picked up an A178 or A180 belly planter that goes under the Super A. A few days later I got an IH Duplex seed hopper and plates. I've been spraying it with penetrating oil for the last 6 weeks and no luck on any of the fasteners. Today I decided it was time to start grinding, drilling, and hammering out the old fasteners.

I've seen videos of the Cole 12MX and it looks great. I can't justify that kind of money for a small garden though. Lots of YT video's on the different planters and set-up.

Good luck, Ken

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Let's Talk Cole Planters

Postby Super A » Thu May 18, 2023 7:57 am

As far as actual planting, I have never been a big fan of Cole planters. They are like the IH Cub/Super A planters--they get the seed in the general direction of the ground, but that's it.

IMO a JD 71, IH 185 or 295 is the way to go. Much simpler and more accurate.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”