This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Vermeer 1600

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Vermeer 1600

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:42 pm

Rent one.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:48 pm

I thought a chipper would be a good idea to chip up branches while maintaining the wooded back yard we had at our prior house, in a neighborhood. Seemed like a good idea, get rid of branches, leave mulch on the ground. Bought a used Craftsman 8hp one. It worked okay, but was pretty time consuming feeding the branches in the small chute. I ended up burning in my fire pit. We moved to 10+ acres and did a lot of trash tree and honeysuckle removal and lots of trimming. No way I was going to address it with my little chipper, so it sat and I burned, boy did I burn! Sold the chipper earlier this year, for what I paid for it years ago! I have a burn pit which gets pretty regular use. I bought a Harbor Freight propane torch, man does it work for starting fires, a one or two minute blast and it's going, even green, fresh cut stuff!
Now, if I had a beast like Sonny has, would probably be a different story!
David

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 pm

When we bought our farm in 2009, we had a lot of cleanup to do, just like David. We started off burning, but quickly decided to get a chipper and produce mulch. I got an $1800 DR chipper/shredder. Used that for several years, but it turned out to be a POS. The fuel tank is made of plastic and the vibration just destroys it. Replaced the tank twice, to no avail. Now it sits in my barn, unused. We’re back to burning.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:03 am

The little 8 to 10 hp models are a joke--- really--- Have one of them myself! lol!--didnt buy it, it was one of them things that just show up! --- anyway these big ones are deadly and you have to stay on your toes when around them! Dont offer them a tree then decide you want it back!!! lol!
I always liked the Vermeer's ---- simple made, most all utilities and tree people ran them, parts are still to be had if you need them. They will work a half dozen guys butts off draggin brush to them!---- they will eat for sure.
Sis and I cut a bunch of stuff down, lay it in a row then go down the row with the chipper tossin the trees in. We have to cut trees smaller than needed cause we cant handle the size stuff the chipper can gobble up in one bite! ---- gotta respect them for sure!

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”