This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Electric Tractor - Monarch

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48158
Tractors Owned: ~
1958 International Cub LoBoy
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B
2022 Massey Ferguson GC1723E Subcompact

Cub Loboy L-54 Leveling and Grader Blade
Circle of Safety: Y

New Electric Tractor - Monarch

Postby Urbish » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:20 pm

This is interesting. I can't see it being used for any real field duty, but might be useful for light tasks near the barnyard (so you can get it back to the charger before it dies).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/38032/the-50k-electric-monarch-tractor-can-plow-a-field-without-you-and-run-for-10-hours

Jim

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: New Electric Tractor - Monarch

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:15 pm

A few observations:

I have never hooked a PTO up to a plow.

They state US built. But it may have a large Japanese content.

I always try to look at what they don't say in those sales pitches (the video). They say 40 hp and they say 10+ hour run time. They never say it can do both at the same time. I don't think Nebraska tests are required any more for anything below 100 hp. So it may be buyer beware.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:14 pm

The ad states, "It even has generator capabilities to provide an on-site electrical supply." So, in theory, can you plug this tractors charger into the generator and get perpetual motion? :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:08 pm

Barnyard wrote:The ad states, "It even has generator capabilities to provide an on-site electrical supply." So, in theory, can you plug this tractors charger into the generator and get perpetual motion? :lol:

Sure, you can buy several and charge them in a circle!
Jim

Circle of Safety

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:25 pm

Barnyard wrote:The ad states, "It even has generator capabilities to provide an on-site electrical supply." So, in theory, can you plug this tractors charger into the generator and get perpetual motion? :lol:

My first thought on the "generator" comment was that maybe it had an APU to recharge, like a hybrid car. Of course, that would make a mess of some of their other non-polluting claims. Then I realized they were essentially saying it could be used as a big portable battery pack.

I wonder how well they protected all the electronics up in the ROPS. A small narrow tractor like that is going to be pretty easy to upset, particularly when used in side-hill vineyards.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Jim Becker wrote:I wonder how well they protected all the electronics up in the ROPS. A small narrow tractor like that is going to be pretty easy to upset, particularly when used in side-hill vineyards.

Sort of related: I don't think they covered it in the video, but it looks to me like the ROPS collapses telescopically. Note the cable chain at the left rear of the tractor carrying all the wiring up to the roof.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:58 pm

I also enjoyed in the video the emphasis that only because it is electric, it can have all the autonomy and technology. If only traditional tractor manufacturers were able to somehow figure out how to generate electricity onboard, they might be able to have some technology too.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Jkopp
Zip Code: 13409

Postby Jkopp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:17 pm

Non-polluting is an interesting term. I worked in a non-polutting electrical generating plant my entire career. Our primary fuel source was coal.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:41 pm

Jkopp wrote:Non-polluting is an interesting term. I worked in a non-polutting electrical generating plant my entire career. Our primary fuel source was coal.

Several years ago, I saw somebody's comment that rechargeable electric was a really great way to make cars run on coal.

I am also under the impression that the MPG equivalents that are reported for electric cars are based on energy content conversion between gasoline and electricity. The electricity isn't docked for the efficiency of the generating plant or the line loss the get electricity to the point of use.

ajhbike
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 06405
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1951 Super C
1966 IH 504 Hi-Clear
1968 JD 3020
1949 JD B
1949 Ford 8N
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby ajhbike » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:33 am

We are going to convert an old junker Loboy to electric just for the fun of it. There is a guy who has some youtube videos in CA that did several and he has sent us the plans for it and talked to us about it. He referred us to a guy in VT who supplies the power kits. If we ever get around to it, I think it could be used for mowing and plowing the driveway and we will put a 3 pt on it to move stuff around the yard.
We have seen some other videos of electric tractors that have a place on small hobby farms for cultivating and spraying and such although they look like "normal" compact tractors with FEL's as opposed the narrow looking one in this thread.
Should be an interesting project.

Urbish
10+ Years
10+ Years
1947 Farmall H
1946 Farmall B
1953 Willys CJ3B

Postby Urbish » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:51 am

ajhbike wrote:We are going to convert an old junker Loboy to electric just for the fun of it. There is a guy who has some youtube videos in CA that did several and he has sent us the plans for it and talked to us about it. He referred us to a guy in VT who supplies the power kits. If we ever get around to it, I think it could be used for mowing and plowing the driveway and we will put a 3 pt on it to move stuff around the yard.
We have seen some other videos of electric tractors that have a place on small hobby farms for cultivating and spraying and such although they look like "normal" compact tractors with FEL's as opposed the narrow looking one in this thread.
Should be an interesting project.

:thumbsup:

If you're so inclined, we would love to see a build thread. I'm all for vehicle electrification if taken in measured steps. If the auto industry switched over to building all electrics in 5 years without an accompanying (enormous) renewable generation & distribution grid, we'd be in a lot of trouble. There are already parts of the country that struggle with electricity demand during peak hours.
Jim

Circle of Safety

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:33 am

I think they missed a big opportunity for "autonomous" operation by not putting photovoltaics on the canopy for self-recharging.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:16 am

Interesting video. Combined existing tractor/farming technology with a battery powered motor.

Not mentioned in the advertising is the battery or batteries; type, life expectancy, replacement cost. Was the cost of the battery charger include in the purchase price for the basic tractor? What else wasn't included in the basic price?

Noticed the tractor was operating in a nice clean environment. What happens when the sensors or optics gets covered with debris?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Indy4570
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 65608
Tractors Owned: 49 F cub, donor
50 Farmall Cub bugeyes(dead)
55 Farmall Cub Clementine
55 International loboy
62 140 Industrial The Beast
50s Allis Chalmers B
50 Ferguson TO20 Huppster
49 Ferguson TE20 Fergie
JD 790 4x4 w/backhoe
hinomoto diesel 4x4, early to mid 80s 20HP
73 Pasquali 4x4 diesel 33HP
74 Toro golf course tractor
Gilson 18HP

Postby Indy4570 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:34 am

I have always watched the hypocrisy of so called "green" technology. As many of you stated in this thread, most of the energy used to achieve this green state was derived from fossil fuels. the most glaring example is huge wind generators, built using fossil fuels, transported, erected, maintained, and after 15 years, dismantled, and huge graveyards dub out of the earth using fossil fueled powered machines to bury the dead components that cant be recycled. Oh Look, we can power a small town with these! if they ever did a complete analysis I think the return might be negligible at best.

one of the sadder aspects and the source of more hypocrisy is how for decades the media has shown all the animals injured or killed when there is an oil spill, ( haven't heard about too many of those anymore). But we seem to be hiding all of the birds killed by wind generators and in fact there is a legal exemption even in place for these monster turbines to allow them to kill so many a year with zero fines while oil companies pay thousands for each animal. Oh well the beat goes on....

Cool looking tractor, I bet I can get 4 bags of feed in that lil spot on the hood. I always like to ask so called environmentalists how many bales of hay can you haul on your prius...

I do find it interesting like another poster, that this thing is way tall and my little low pasquali was actually designed and made for vineyard use.
Circle of Safety
better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it...( YES this includes CUBS! )

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:55 am

Indy4570 wrote:. . . But we seem to be hiding all of the birds killed by wind generators . . .

I suspect that particular story to be fake, made up by someone with a pro-coal bias. Otherwise somebody would have shown us a pile of dead birds under a wind generator by now.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”