This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Gravely tractors walkbehinds

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Gravely tractors walkbehinds

Postby BigBill » Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 am

Decades ago I was buying and selling gravely walk behind tractors. Two wheelers. My youngest son borrowed my tractor to mow the neighbors lawn. Ever since then and after seeing what a gravely with attachments can do that’s all he talked about. Well he asked me for info about them. I told him I like the orginal gravely L head engine. I prefer the gravely L8 super convertible model with the 7.6 gravely engine and the 8 speed tranny. He found one that’s affordable and brought it home. His craftsman riding mower tranny died. The gravely replaced it. I’m hoping this starts his interest in tractors.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Gravely tractors walkbehinds

Postby tmays » Tue May 21, 2019 5:22 am

Good deal. Love my Gravelys. The L8 is a beast. They L8 is rather hard to find in my neck of the woods. Got to do a little work on the pto . Won’t stay engaged
Thomas

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue May 21, 2019 7:10 pm

There’s a ball detention under the cap on the shaft that engages the pto. It’s a spring loaded ball and probably has dirt in it. A good cleaning and lubing should get you back in action

The kid was searching for a gravely not knowing which one to buy. I told him the super convertible 7,6 hp L8 is the one you want. The only thing I added when I rebuilt them was a peerless governor so it can’t be over revved.

Onetime I purchased 10 non running gravelys for $50 each. I was selling them running for $350. That’s over 30years ago. :hattip:
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tst » Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm

I agree that the 7.6 hp L8 gravelys were tough, still have several myself and lots of attachments

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Tue May 21, 2019 7:42 pm

Thanks, Bill. That’s what the problem was. Detention holes were almost full of crud. Working good now. I just found out about these Gravelys a few years ago. Had never seen one before then. I’ve bought and sold a few since then.
Thomas

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 am

I rebuilt gravelys from the ground up before I sold them. The best thing you can do is to add the peerless governor to the gravely L engine if it doesn’t have one. It calms the beast down so us older guys can control it.

Don’t put your body between the handles when walking with it. I took a shot in the ribs I’ll never forget. Keep the handles infront of you.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed May 29, 2019 8:08 am

So far, I haven’t come across one without a governor. But I’ve only had like seven or eight I’ve bought. Still have three of them.
Thomas

cuznguido
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 41179

Postby cuznguido » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:53 pm

I have always been a Gravely fan and have one now, but I do not remember ever seeing one with the old gravely (studebaker??) engine with the eight speed tranny. That would make a sweet tractor with the slower gears and a good governor. I would like to find one with electric start. That rope pulling is for the younger fellas.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:04 am

My son bought another L8 with more attachments. These can be had. I told him to get a LI or L to put a screw log splitter on a rotary plow. He has 3 or 4 rotary plows.

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:51 am

BigBill wrote:My son bought another L8 with more attachments. These can be had. I told him to get a LI or L to put a screw log splitter on a rotary plow. He has 3 or 4 rotary plows.

If I’m not mistaken, there is also an LS. I have two L8s, one in the process of getting it ready to crank, other one running. Haven’t checked to see what speeds they are. They are tough machines. I’ve seen videos, but have never seen log splitter in person. Wish I had one. I do have a buzz saw/brush cutter. It’s pretty neat. I have a reel mower that I need to free up, but is complete. Also have sickle mower with the rare two inch blades. It works well
Thomas

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:21 am

The L8 has a differential splitter for slower speeds for tilling and using the snow cannon. These are the king of the walk behinds all cast iron, wet cone clutches. Mr Gravely didn’t miss nothing. Our first gravely was an L model.

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”