This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Allis help

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Allis help

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:20 am

This one is perhaps for Eugene?
We had a tractor reunion a few days ago here in Finistere at Briec, Baby took his girlfriend Allis B along and the couple were well appreciated.
Whilst there a certain Monsieur Emile Jégou came up to me and started chatting Allis to me, saying that he has the same tractor as us and that he is in the process of restoring it. When I questioned him it is in fact a C, but he says it is almost exectly the same.
Can you shed some light on this for me what is the difference between a B and a C.
Second question Emile is looking for the little round gas tank that goes under the bonnet (sorry hood) is that sort of thing available over your way?
Any help would be most appreciated
Pat

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:32 am

Pat, I am not very familar with Allis Cahlmers tracotrs myself, but there is an Allis group on http://www.ytmag.com
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:35 am

I belive the major difference is the C is a narrow front and the B is a wide front. There were other differences though because you could get a C with a wide front axle.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:54 am

Pat: http://www.allischalmers.com/forum/forum_list.asp is another board on Allis Chalmers. This board has more activity than the ytmag board. You can buy and sell (free) on the above listed board. Also, you can list an item as wanted and you will get a number of replies from business selling the exact item.

A reference book on Allis Chalmer will provide the differences between the B and the C. "Original Allis Chalmers 1933 - 1957" has 23 pages describing the different configurations for the B and C.

The starting tank (small tank under the hood). Originals are very hard to find. I think someone is making and selling a copy.

E-mail Address(es): albert_flenties@yahoo.com Albert Fluenties is an Allis Chalmers dealer in Maryville, Missouri. You can e-mail your request for parts and prices and receive an answer within 24 hours. I have had only good experiences with this firm.

http://www.valu-bilt.com This is another good source for tractor parts - any make. They also have a free catalog on US made tractors. Excellent reference. If you e-mail a request - sometimes they have unlisted parts such as the starting tank.

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:09 pm

Pat,

I have a C. It is similar to the B, but is row crop. The rear wheels are adjustable while the B's are not. Interestingly, at least to me is that their Ross steering gear boxes are mirror images of each other. I saw a B one time that had a C steering box... it must have been an exciting first ride! :D The owner had jury rigged a steering arm to point the opposite way so it didn't go "haw" when the wheel was turned "gee".

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:10 am

George, I'm going to be lazy and ask a question that I could probably research myself but what the heck. Just what are the diff's between a C and a CA? I know the seats are different. Possibly the tranny as I've got a 4sp. Maybe the hydraulics. The engines seem identical however the CA listed slightly higher HP. The gas tank on a CA has an indentation for the starter which doesn't seem needed for the C. Anything warm here?

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:43 am

Thanks for your replies, I will follow up your leads for Emile.

George, as the back wheels are hidden, how are they adjustable, rowceop style, the bacl wheels on our B seem to be rowcrop similar to Cub system only hub is cast not pressed.

Thinking though, you've put a doubt in my mind, I'll have to go out and have a look when it's light :oops:

Certainly the front axle is adjustable, rowcrop style being an english built B not having the hooped front axle.

Steering to the left for the right, wow dificult! At one of the Steam Engine rallies that I used to organise in UK, someone had built a bike with an extra set of gearing so that turn handlebars to left wheel goes to right, same principle as your b/c George, he offered £10 in the crowd who could ride it around the arena, I don't think he ever lost a single penny of his tenner.

Pat

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:19 am

Bill,

I've never had a CA, so there are certainly other differences I don't know about, but the ones you mention are true. The C has a 3 speed tranny and weaker hydraulics.

Some Cs, mine included have very heavy cast wheels, much thicker than most... much like the right wheel on a Farmall A, but thicker.

Does your CA have spin-out wheels? I don't think they were available for the C.

Pat,

Much like the Cubs, the wheels can be turned around and the lugs mounted on either side of the centers. I don't think a B's wheels can be changed that way.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:21 am

George, Yes I have the spin outs. As for the Hydraulics I was amazed after reading the manual ( a little bit) that Allis used a high pressure low volume system with the pump relief set at 3600psi. WOW! Anyway I haven't studied the C nor really ever looked one over close to compare. Somewere I read that the CA has a WC tranny but that is unconfirmed by me.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Patbretagne » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:52 pm

George Willer wrote:Much like the Cubs, the wheels can be turned around and the lugs mounted on either side of the centers. I don't think a B's wheels can be changed that way.

Finally I got around to a photo session in the shed this morning and I took one of the Allis B Wheel that is cast, turnable, giving I think 4 different widths.
We have to bear in mind here that this is a "British" Allis B with a rowcrop front axle, did these exist in USA? I only ever seem to have noticed the hoop or bow shaped front axles on USA Bs. I have laboured in my mind for many years that this was the main difference between the US and UK Bs?
Pat

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”