This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What is a CubFest????

The new home for CubFest and Tractor show Announcements & Discussions.
Forum rules
ALL CubFest discussion posted in other forums will be moved to this forum without advance notice.

IMPORTANT NOTE: CubFest organizers -- Notify a TeamCub member or the ADMIN (Dennis) to "Sticky" your event announcement in this forum.
Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

What is a CubFest????

Postby Bigdog » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:18 am

CubFest season is really more than just approaching, it is in full swing. We got an early start this year thanks to Roy and Billy Ray and Ray Durban hosting Deep South CubFest to kick the season off.
With that in mind it is important that we step back and take a look at what a CubFest is really all about.

Aside from being social events, which they most certainly are, they are an opportunity to share knowledge and to teach and mentor others. Or we come and learn some new skills from those who share them. In addition, it is an opportunity for people to bring some items for sale or to come and perhaps find that item you have been looking for.

That was the intent and desire years ago when Albie Badaracco kept pushing fellows to gather together at someone's shop and tinker with cubs as a teaching / learning experience. I think it's safe to say that Albie's vision has gone far and quite successfully so.
As CubFests have grown, in both number and size, it is easy for folks to lose sight of the original purpose.
I think it is prudent to mention a few things that can easily go astray so that the CubFest season will be a pleasant experience for all.

First of all, a cubfest is not a free repair clinic where you bring things for others to fix. While free labor abounds it should not be abused. These are learning experiences and if you need help with something then you will receive help. But be prepared to pitch in and do your share. Our aim is to teach you how to do it, not do it for you.
Tractors or implements you bring should be your personal property that you intend to use. Not something you need fixed so you can sell it.

Along that same line we often see in the forum suggestions to new members to "take it to the cubfest near you and we'll fix it". While that often happens and we want to welcome the newer cub owners who are not well versed in cub repairs we need to remember that the invitation should come from the host of the event. It would be real easy for me to advise someone to take it to the XYZ cubfest and they'll fix you right up - knowing that I was not attending the XYZ cubfest and would not be providing the labor. But by doing so, I have made time and labor commitments for a cubfest host and his guests. They may have already had a full schedule but will now feel compelled to accomodate the offer.

Let's not forget those who host these events. I can tell you from experience that it is no easy task and if you are hosting you run around in circles trying to find this or that or pointing folks in the right directions. Be considerate of your hosts facilities, his tools and his generosity. (I'm still looking for lost tools from last year.)
If your host makes a special request such as no alcohol in the shop area, no pets etc. please honor those requests.

If we all consider that CubFest are places to share and learn, not places to get something for nothing, it will make them fun and interesting for all.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Re: What is a CubFest????

Postby redfin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:24 am

That is a very nice explanation of the intent of these wonderful fests we enjoy every year. Thank You ! :D

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:47 am

I attend many of the events every year andi have a lot of fun at them i never bring anythng of my own to work on .
i do not usually bring any parts for sale unless they are requested in advance.

i do think this is a good statement to make as a few of th members are doing it on a regular bassis.

First of all, a cubfest is not a free repair clinic where you bring things for others to fix. While free labor abounds it should not be abused. These are learning experiences and if you need help with something then you will receive help. But be prepared to pitch in and do your share. Our aim is to teach you how to do it, not do it for you.
Tractors or implements you bring should be your personal property that you intend to use. Not something you need fixed so you can sell it

it is one thing to help a member fix his personal use cub and it is another thing entirely to fix it so someone can sell a $400 cub for $1200 cubfest are meant to be learning experiance .
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

brichter
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32449
eBay ID: Kinardhippy
Skype Name: Billy.Ray.Richter

Postby brichter » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:17 am

I could not have said it better. When I made the trek from Florida to Ohio for my first Cubfest at Bigdog's, I had no idea what I was getting into. I just knew I had a Cub and these guys were friendly on the internet and answered my foolish questions so I figured this was the place to try to learn a few basic things I could do to my Cub rather than haul it to town every time it acted up. I had wanted a Cub, I had found and bought one, I had been to a Cubarama and met some wonderful folks so I thought it would be a nice road trip for me and my new bride. I certainly didn't know that it was going to grow into an addiction and never once imagined that I would cohost one myself.

I have noticed with some alarm the changes that are happening to the Cubfests that I love and I hope the trends do not continue. I have learned more from the guys on this site than I ever could anywhere else and I don't mean just the Cub stuff. That is why I try to take my grandson, Seth, to just as many Cubfest as I can. I would be pleased if he turns out to be just half the man some of these mentors are. The examples that they set over a weekend have helped more than all the lectures I could give him and I appreciate all the time you guys take up with him. He has learned consideration for others and many other old fashioned values that some kids never get to see in action. It's different from just hearing about it when you actually get to see someone do it.

So thanks to all you guys and let's read Bigdog's post, think and let's all make the Cubfests better.

THE NEXT DEEP SOUTH CUBFEST WILL BE AWESOME!!! Y'ALL COME.
If you're gonna dream or steal, do it BIG

The best things in life aren't things.
1951 Cub
1963 Corvair
lots more junk

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:31 am

Good points BD. I'm sure some of the the original intent of Albie's idea may have gotten lost somewhere along the line. In general, all of the Cubfests I have been to have been helpful, enjoyable events, but I am sure it is easy enough for some to lose sight of what they are about. I have learned a great deal in the couple years I have been around the forum and I am amazed at the generosity that abounds. Lets keep these Cubfests the learning, and social experience they were intented to be.

Billy Ray, I have to say that Seth is a joy to be around. Unlike many teens who look for trouble when bored, he shows a willingness to learn and do the right thing. The first time I met him was at the Tug and he jumped right in and wanted to help me with a fuel problem I had on one of my Cubs.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 am

I have yet to take a cub to cubfest. I just enjoy going down and talking to everyone. And its fun to lend a hand when I know how to do something. And its wonderful to see the smiles on a persons face when there tractor comes alive :{_}:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Song
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Song » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:38 am

Some of this could be added to Cubfest webpages just to reiterate the points again when a Cubfest date comes up.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:57 am

Well stated as always Big Dog. And i agree whole heartedly! I know i am guilty of saying i got this problem and walking off at Docfest. Taking care of hosting duties. That is why i really dont like working on my tractors at Docfest, cause i dont get to learn and partake. One of these years, i hope to have no problems with my tractors at docfest time :)

Now at CI Fest and Cubtug, it was all me, getting dirty, putting that new head gasket on, plugs, points, etc a couple years ago and up to my elbows with Ralph in transmission in #2 at the tug. Under close supervision. That is why i like going to other fests as well, so i can do the work. But its for one of my tractors that i have no intention on selling. I actually think i could redo a carb now after sitting with rick a couple of times. But i would want someone behind me.

Pets, are an important part of my life. But i wouldnt think of bringing them with me to someone elses home. Even at Docfest my 11 month old was chained, as he is a little ramboxious yet, and could have bumped a child over, or got in the way of a tractor. I didnt want anything to happen to anyone or the dog. That could have caused all kinds of hurt feelings on both sides. Its just better to avoid the situation up front.

john

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 am

hi i have not been to a cub fest and was thinking about going to the Colchester meet in CT,who do i need to contact for more info on that event
thanks Tim

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:19 am

Just want to voice my support of this topic. These events are wonderful learning experiences as well as the fellowship with the great people that attend. I would also like to say that my daughter, future son-in-law and my granddaughter thought the Deep South event was the most wonderful weekend ever. It was amazing to see my granddaughter watching the guys work on the cubs and soaking it all in.

Sure hope to see all you guys at Deep South 2011. It will be the best ever, as Billy Ray promised.

Roy & Mary
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 am

Tim,
PM sent.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859

Postby Trent M » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:19 am

Thanks for the reminder Bigdog. There's nothing like a CubFest ... definitely not your typical tractor show!! :D
Trent McPeak

DaveyJones
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DaveyJones » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:56 am

Though I've yet to attend a Cubfest, I do intend to as soon as I can fit it in to my schedule and budget. Thank you, Bigdog, for the eloquent explanation of the expectations, dos and donts, and overall climate at these informative and fun events. Hope to meet some of you guys in person soon.

Davey Jones

aftermac
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48174
Tractors Owned: 1950 Farmall Cub (iCub)

Postby aftermac » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:01 pm

Great post, Bigdog! As I've mentioned a few times, I hope to attend CubTug this year. I think it's unbelievably generous what the hosts and Cub experts go through to put on these events. My wife and I attend a tractor show every year and we have a lot of fun, but one thing I've always though was missing was actually working on and learning about tractors... not just watching a plowing demonstration (though those are fun too!).

I fully intend to learn as much as possible and do my share of work as well. Wouldn't feel right otherwise.
Jason

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:24 am

Nice explanation Big Dog.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Return to “CubFest and Tractor Show Announcements & Discussions”