This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sump Pump Well

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Sump Pump Well

Postby Eugene » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 pm

My next project as soon as it dries up or the ground freezes, construct a second sump pump well in the south east corner of the basement. 118 year old house. Water is passing through the limestone foundation and cracks in the cement floor.

Some ground water usually accumulates in that corner with an inch or so of rain. Normally just vacuum up a gallon or two of water, then put the fan on the spot to dry it out.

Had around 6 inches of rain in 36 hours and more to come. The one sump pump in the north east corner of the basement did not catch all the seepage. Must have broomed and vacuumed off 150 or more gallons of seepage off the basement floor.

The house's foundation sits on hard pan and probably in some places limestone bed rock. Have a demolition hammer/medium sized electric jack hammer. My biggest problem will be getting the hole for the sumppump casing deep enough.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Re: Sump Pump Well

Postby danovercash » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:01 pm

I feel your pain Eugene. After some redneck engineering, I pumped water for three hours at about 4 gallons a minute! Pictures on Facebook. iPhone won't let me post on here.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:07 am

Eugene, following are some figures you might find useful:

18" round basin = 14 gallons/foot depth
24" round basin = 24 gallons/foot depth
30" round basin = 38 gallons/foot depth

Choose a pump with appropriate head and GPM rating to run the pump approximately 1-2 minutes run time is ideal. Anything shorter in duration may reduce pump life. Of course, run time equals the level of the water where the pump turns on and the level where it shuts off. A pump rated for 20 GPM, you'd want a depth between "on" and "off" of approximately 1'-5" depth x 18" round basin to run the pump 1 minute.

Hope this helps.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:22 pm

Spent the morning removing the throw rugs and carpet from the basement bathroom. Hung the rugs on the fence to drip and dry. Vacuumed up the wet spots. Now have a total of 3 fans drying out the basement. Will probably take 3 or 4 days for everything to fully dry out.

Checked the sump, water level is about one foot below the basement floor.

I have an uninstalled sump. It's about 21" in diameter and 21" tall. I haven't tried to install it because I don't know how deep I can jack hammer the hard pan and probable bed rock. After the ground water level drops, I will try to install it. Also need to install a larger pit in the current sump.
I have an excuse. CRS.