This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need head gasket for really old Kohler engine

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need head gasket for really old Kohler engine

Postby larryfoster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:54 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this and apologize if not.

I have a circa 1950 Junior Chief walk behind cultivator

The Junior Chief tractor was a single wheel walk behind built by the Great Lakes company in Rock Creek Ohio.
My dad used it for a while when I was fairly young but since then it has been in a corner of my chicken coop until several years ago.

Anyhow, my neighbor did get it running (after 50+ years) but I have a blown head gasket.
Would appreciate if anyone has suggestions on where I might find one.

Information on these engines is scarce as hen's teeth.

Model Kohler K7-2
Serial no. 209570
spec no. 3652A

Thank you

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need head gasket for really old Kohler engine

Postby bob in CT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:15 am

Larry, you can always do it the hard way. Buy some copper sheet and cut one out to fit. The put it in a self-cleaning oven on a flat sheet and run the cycle and it will anneal as soft as butter, which will give you your seal. You can always re-anneal it and use it again too if the head has to come off.

larryfoster
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby larryfoster » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:19 am

That's a great suggestion, Bob.
Never heard of it but I'm desperate.

Any suggestions on thickness?
when you do this, does it have to go immediately on the block or can you put it on later?

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:07 am

I just checked and there are Kohler copper gaskets on eBay that are about .040" thick. Automotive stuff seems to run between .030" and .060", so that must be the zone. You may want to search ebay and contact the suppliers to see if they have the pattern you need.

No rush to use it when it is annealed. When you start with soft copper, you work harden it while you are messing with it and the self- cleaning oven happens to be a good annealing cycle for copper. Once it is annealed, you can use it when you need it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:25 am

When we were kids, my brother once needed a head gasket for a single cylinder junk yard engine he was messing with. My dad helped him cut a gasket out of cork. Even as a youngster, I was surprised they were doing it. He got it running and we ran that engine a lot for several years. The cork gasket never gave a bit of trouble. Bottom line, that engine may not be too fussy about what sort of head gasket it has. Cutting one out of cork is easy and cheap, may be good enough.

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 14201

Postby mastercraft » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:04 am

Jim Becker wrote:When we were kids, my brother once needed a head gasket for a single cylinder junk yard engine he was messing with. My dad helped him cut a gasket out of cork. Even as a youngster, I was surprised they were doing it. He got it running and we ran that engine a lot for several years. The cork gasket never gave a bit of trouble. Bottom line, that engine may not be too fussy about what sort of head gasket it has. Cutting one out of cork is easy and cheap, may be good enough.

I've got an old gravely that needs a head gasket....wonder if the cork would work??

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

mastercraft wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:When we were kids, my brother once needed a head gasket for a single cylinder junk yard engine he was messing with. My dad helped him cut a gasket out of cork. Even as a youngster, I was surprised they were doing it. He got it running and we ran that engine a lot for several years. The cork gasket never gave a bit of trouble. Bottom line, that engine may not be too fussy about what sort of head gasket it has. Cutting one out of cork is easy and cheap, may be good enough.

I've got an old gravely that needs a head gasket....wonder if the cork would work??

Gravely gaskets are readily available. The L gasket was the same for fifty years, unless you have a Model D with the Indian engine. Richard's Lawn and Garden in Spencer, WVA.

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mastercraft » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:47 am

bob in CT wrote:
mastercraft wrote:

Gravely gaskets are readily available. The L gasket was the same for fifty years, unless you have a Model D with the Indian engine. Richard's Lawn and Garden in Spencer, WVA.

not sure what it has but it does have a Kohler engine, it was given to me and has the brush mower and some weird tilling row attachment.....I'm gonna try and get a finish mower attachment for it, they have them for sale time to time.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby bob in CT » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:37 am

In that case it is even easier. Kohler engine parts are everywhere. All you need to know is the horsepower, engine model, or Gravely model number from the hood if the Kohler tag is missing

mastercraft
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mastercraft » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:58 am

bob in CT wrote:In that case it is even easier. Kohler engine parts are everywhere. All you need to know is the horsepower, engine model, or Gravely model number from the hood if the Kohler tag is missing

yeah...the hp rating sticker is long gone..........I'll have to look for the motor tag.....I'm just concerned if I go to remove the head bolts , they'll snap, then a lot of drilling is gonna go one..lol....as of now it runs okay, you can just hear it blowing out compression and see the black soot mark where it's doing it......might leave it alone until it won't go anymore :)

DavidR
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22551

Postby DavidR » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:28 pm

You can also check with the tractor pulling suppliers. They have a carbon based sheet that you can cut your own gasket. We use them in the big engines that the bore and valve area is bigger than the stock gaskets.

Return to “Projects Forum”