This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Metal Roof Coating

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49057

Metal Roof Coating

Postby Dell » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 am

I have a very old barn with old corrigated steel roof.
Has anyone used the thick roll on roof coatings available at the box stores.
Is the coating worth the expense and does it really seal it like advertised.
A 5 gal. bucket is about $70-90 around here. Probably take about 8-10 buckets anyway.
Do it yourself or hirer a pro to get it done.

Thanks,
Dell

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Metal Roof Coating

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:26 am

If you have a dependable pro in your area, not the fly by night ones that come in from out of state and are gone the next day, they will go over the roof nailing any loose tin down and put whatever type coating you prefer on it for about the same as what you will pay for it at the bb stores.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:15 am

Depending on how many square feet of roof and pitch, I would get the local professionals to do the job. There are several folks in the local area who are equipped do the task.

Have painted several slightly pitched shed roofs. Son and I painted his garage roof, around 800 square feet. Prep time was a couple of hours as we washed and scrubbed the roof with TSP. Let roof dry for a day or two. Painting time with both of us working was around 2 - 3 hours.

There are a number of local houses with corrugated metal roofing, including the one across the street built in 1897. Son's neighbor's house has corrugated metal roofing. The house appears to have been built in the mid to late 1800's. If maintained, corrugated metal roofing appears to last indefinitely.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Dell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49057

Postby Dell » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:22 pm

Sound advice. I think I'll let the pros do it. Sometimes you save money and lots of time by hiring someone that knows what they're doing.

Thanks.

Return to “Projects Forum”