Turn-of-the-Century Whitman's Americus Senior Cider Press

Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:39 am

I plucked this old Whitman's Americus Senior cider press out of one of the barns on my in-laws' farm in Illinois a few years ago. I'm not sure how old it is, but latest patent date on the casting says 1887. But it could be as new as the 1920's. I fully disassembled it, cleaned it up, repainted, and replaced some rotted wood. I have no idea what the original color was supposed to be, but decided to paint it Farmall red with black accents. I think it turned out pretty sharp. After a couple of uses, the 4x6 white oak uprights exploded under the enormous tension from the screw press. So I replaced those last year and am looking forward to pressing again this fall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Turn-of-the-Century Whitman's Americus Senior Cider Pres

Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:02 am

Nice job, especially the lettering. Do you have your own apple trees?

Bob

Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks Bob. I have a couple of apple trees. The big crate of apples was a freebie from a family member who has orchards on the west side of Michigan. Regarding the lettering, I painted the whole thing red to begin with (after priming), then used a foam brush to lightly reverse-stamp the black paint onto the raised areas. It was super easy and I'll be using that technique again. I put on two coats of the black and it worked out great.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:07 am

Nice job on the cider press! I'm betting you crank out (literally) some very good cider.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:51 am

Very Cool!......Nice job!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:45 am

Very nice! That looks just like the press we used when I was growing up. Sadly, it was lost when the barn went up in flames.