Beefin' up BOB!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Several of the beams in BOB's floor have rotted and I have been wanting to get them replaced for quite awhile. I went to the mill over a year ago and picked up an oak 8"x8" 16' long to replace the worse beam first. Unfortunately my barn crew buddies were busy with projects and work of their own. Last week we all agreed this was the day to do it.

We started off by removing the siding on both sides of the post at the nail line to give us room to work.
Image

Once the siding was off we got a good look at the damage. The post had not only dropped 4" but had also kicked out about 3 1/2".
This made a very noticeable drop in the roof line.
Image

We then removed the floor, or what was left of it, in that spot,
Image

Once the floor was removed the beam pretty much fell off the footer.
Image

We tied the post off with ratchet straps to hold it in place and bolted oak planks to the two posts to tie them together.
Then we placed jacks under the planks to raise the posts high enough to get the new beam under it.
Image

One we had it up in the air it was time to lift the beam in place. We also tightened the straps to bring
the post in the three inches it had kicked out. Unfortunately we could only move it in about two inches.
However it was plumb and the one inch over hang would not hurt anything other than appearance.
Image

Once the beam was set it was anchored to the footer with 3/4" rebar to keep it in place. Since the footer
was wide enough we also placed a 3"x8" piece of oak under the inside post to shore it up.
Image

Once the post was where we were happy with it we tied it into the new beam with 1/8" thick brackets and lag screws.
Image

This winter I will order a couple more beams to repair some of the other areas. We prefer working on this stuff when the weather is cooler and a couple of the guys are layed off for the winter so my guess is the next beam replacement is about a year away.

Meanwhile, I have two loads of siding in BOB waiting to be nailed up.

Re: Beefin' up BOB!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:19 pm

Another old Barn saved. I love it!

Re: Beefin' up BOB!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Were the original beams oak? The reason I am asking is that oak is practically rot proof, or at least it lasts a long long time. It looks like there are quite a number of them need replacing. Lots of heavy thirsty :beer: work.
Bernard,
Donegal Cub.

Re: Beefin' up BOB!

Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:It looks like there are quite a number of them need replacing.

Bernard, There are many areas in the Big Old Barn that need floor joist replacement. I wanted to get the beams first to keep the old boy standing. I have been working on some of the worse parts of the siding but I do want to get to the bad areas of the floor.

Here is a project we took on several years ago getting the new roof on.

Image

Image

Re: Beefin' up BOB!

Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:11 am

Nice job. Great to have friends available.