This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need help cast iron

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Need help cast iron

Postby dakcub » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm

I found my grandmothers dutch oven and the inside bottom is pure rust, the rest of it is perfect. What do I do to restore it properly. I see alot of stuff in the internet, but what is the best way to deal with this?
Robert (wants to learn to cook with dutch oven) Miller

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Need help cast iron

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:03 am

Mike in Louisiana is the DO expert. Thirty years ago when I brought back some antique tea pots from Japan, I was told to smear them with lard and put them in a low temp oven for 2-3 hours.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 am

Mike in Louisiana is the expert. I will tell you how I do it. Clean it real good getting rid of as much of the rust as possible. I do use soapy hot water for this cleaning, then rinse good and dry. You can buy some dutch oven treatment or put on a layer of cooking oil. crisco or the like, place in the oven at 350 for an hour, and turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven.
After you treat it, after each use, clean it with just water, dry real good, apply a coating of oil and store in a good place to keep it dry. I place a paper towel between the lid and pot to help absorb any moisture.
Works for me and my wife on cast iron.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:46 am

I've cleaned heavy rust, and also burned on foods, with a sand blaster. Then, season it, as mentioned.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:51 am

Surface rust? Deep flaking pockets? How you go about it really depends on how bad the rust is. I can't add to the advice about seasoning after you get it "un rusted" that's spot on. I will stress NEVER EVER touch it with soap after it's seasoned, hot water only and I have a dedicated scraper/scrubber that never sees soap. It's for the cast iron pans only! What you really have to watch is someone helping out in the kitchen and not knowing how to care for cast iron and sticking it in the dishwater :x :cry: :x :cry: :x :cry:

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Mine is still a work in progress (frying pans). Sand blast with clean media (no lead), oil, bake, repeat till good seasoning is achived. I'm trying flax seed oil because it has the highest flash point of all edible oils. According to Internet source, after cleaning, slather oil on warm iron, then rub off all that will come off. Then into oven for one hour and let cool slowly, repeating until desired results obtained. Any excess oil will become a run that cannot be removed. My Mom used to throw her frying pan in a brush fire to burn off old grease then reseason with Crisco or lard. All the above info is good too.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. Until I get started on the rust bucket, I purchased a Lodge 6 qt dutch oven and some cooking supplies to get started. Just have to get some days off and let the cooking begin.
Robert (hungry for country style ribs) Miller

Return to “Projects Forum”