This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Advice Sought on Restoration Project - EZ Flow Spreader

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Advice Sought on Restoration Project - EZ Flow Spreader

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:01 pm

I bought this spreader from Bill Hudson a few years ago, and I'd like to restore it this spring. I have never done anything like this. I thought I'd ask for some general advice before I get started in May or so. I am decently handy. I learn quick. I have a nice shop. And I have a neighbor who owns a metal fab business so having parts made won't be a problem. Just looking for a few suggestions.

I assume this will need to be sand-blasted to bare metal? Once blasted, primer and paint? Anything special I need to know about painting bare metal?

Will tires be easy to find for this? Anybody have a good source?

Anything else I should think about?

Thanks in advance guys.

Blair

I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Advice Sought on Restoration Project - EZ Flow Spreader

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Blair, There are different levels of "restoration/renovation" depending on how much time and effort you want to spend. Some would completely disassemble the spreader so that all surfaces can be sandblasted and repainted. It looks like the lip of the lid will need repair. After sandblasting you may find some pitting that would need repair either with patches or a filler like Bondo. I can't tell what size the tires are, but unless they are some wierd size, you should be able to get those at a tire shop of maybe a farm supply store. I'm not a painter, but you'll just want to make sure the bare metal is cleaned to remove any dust, oil, grease, or surface contamination that would keep the primer from adhering. The primer and final paint need to be compatible. That shouldn't be any problem if you get both at an auto paint supply, or spray cans from a hardware or big box store. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it needs much repair other than the lid, but you'll know better as you get to work on it. If there are bearings in the feed or tires, avoid sandblasting those areas, and also mask off to protect the yellow label unless you plan on having it reproduced.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:24 am

Bob McCarty wrote:Blair, There are different levels of "restoration/renovation" depending on how much time and effort you want to spend. Some would completely disassemble the spreader so that all surfaces can be sandblasted and repainted. It looks like the lip of the lid will need repair. After sandblasting you may find some pitting that would need repair either with patches or a filler like Bondo. I can't tell what size the tires are, but unless they are some wierd size, you should be able to get those at a tire shop of maybe a farm supply store. I'm not a painter, but you'll just want to make sure the bare metal is cleaned to remove any dust, oil, grease, or surface contamination that would keep the primer from adhering. The primer and final paint need to be compatible. That shouldn't be any problem if you get both at an auto paint supply, or spray cans from a hardware or big box store. From the pictures, it doesn't look like it needs much repair other than the lid, but you'll know better as you get to work on it. If there are bearings in the feed or tires, avoid sandblasting those areas, and also mask off to protect the yellow label unless you plan on having it reproduced.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I appreciate you taking the time to write.

This is going to be a working project. I bought this to spread lime and fertilizer in some deer food plots I have out in the back 40.

Thanks again.

Blair
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Blair:

I think I saw this at Cecil's when I picked up my PHD. I thought then that dang ... wish I had known about it ... nice snag.

I would go with the procedures Bob posted .. makes a lot of sense to me so why re-invent. Maybe get that decal over to Tim and have it reproduced.

You gotta post progress shots though ...

I really liked that spreader :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”